1959 Cadillac hearse diff

I am looking for a replacement diff head or NOS crown wheel and pinion for our 59 Hearse. The current diff has had a hard life and very noisy.
Any leads would be much appreciated.
20210205_091554.jpg

What makes you think that you need a new ring and pinion in the differential? Until you open it up, you have no idea as to exactly what is wrong. Sure, you will have some labor to get it out for inspection, but it might only need new bearings. If you pull the axles, and driveshaft, the differential can be removed from the housing, and inspected without disassembling the gears themselves. Not being familiar with that particular year, it might even have a removable rear cover, so you can inspect it without removal. Doing a parts check on available parts, I see that the bearings and axle are referred to as GMC. Without having an old Hollanders interchange book, I can say for certain if it is just the bearings or the complete center "pumpkin". Even if you found a used one, you have no idea if it is going to be any better than what you presently have.

What makes you think that you need a new ring and pinion in the differential? Until you open it up, you have no idea as to exactly what is wrong. Sure, you will have some labor to get it out for inspection, but it might only need new bearings. If you pull the axles, and driveshaft, the differential can be removed from the housing, and inspected without disassembling the gears themselves. Not being familiar with that particular year, it might even have a removable rear cover, so you can inspect it without removal. Doing a parts check on available parts, I see that the bearings and axle are referred to as GMC. Without having an old Hollanders interchange book, I can say for certain if it is just the bearings or the complete center "pumpkin". Even if you found a used one, you have no idea if it is going to be any better than what you presently have.
Hi Paul,
We have had the diff apart and it appears there has been water in there at some stage so the crown wheel and pinion are badly pitted. We have new bearing in it and set up correctly but still noisy under load. No noise on coast so its the crown wheel and pinion that are noisy not the bearings.
We can live with it but would be nice to get something a bit quieter if possible.
Cheers.

I'm trying to remember the additive i used it in the 60 Willis quieted it right down. Its on the line of stp.

I'm trying to remember the additive i used it in the 60 Willis quieted it right down. Its on the line of stp.
Hi John, Thanks for that. I have tried 3 different oils now and 2 different additives and it does make a difference but still not great.
So yes they do work but not on something this worn or rusty. Cheers

Did you happen to look for any part numbers on the ring gear and pinion gears? If I had part numbers, I might be able to find the parts, but there are a lot of variables involved, without part numbers. First, it would be nice to know the gear ratio. Considering the distance that the gears are going to need to travel, it is best to get it right the first time.

Did you happen to look for any part numbers on the ring gear and pinion gears? If I had part numbers, I might be able to find the parts, but there are a lot of variables involved, without part numbers. First, it would be nice to know the gear ratio. Considering the distance that the gears are going to need to travel, it is best to get it right the first time.
Sorry i dont have those but will see what i can find and come back to you. Cheers

Back