New vinyl material finally arrived from SMS Auto Fabrics

Bill Leverett

PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervis
Well almost 10 months to the day, my custom made vinyl finally arrived from SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon.

They did a very good job of matching the original. The picture shows a glare that makes the product look like it has a yellow tinge but it's doesn't. The material on the left is the new vinyl, the material on the right is the original.

I ordered the material (and of course you pay up front for it) on March 10, 2023 and it arrived January 5, 2024. The initial quote was 8-10 weeks delivery. While the product is very good (only slightly lighter shade of blue) their customer service sucks! Numerous unanswered emails and phone calls along the way. So if you are thinking about using SMS Auto Fabrics for anything be forewarned. I don't think they have a competitor so that may explain it.

Just so you know I ordered 20 yards of material. Total material and shipping cost was 2008.00 USD plus another 275.00 CDN for import taxes and

Well almost 10 months to the day, my custom made vinyl finally arrived from SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon.

They did a very good job of matching the original. The picture shows a glare that makes the product look like it has a yellow tinge but it's doesn't. The material on the left is the new vinyl, the material on the right is the original.

I ordered the material (and of course you pay up front for it) on March 10, 2023 and it arrived January 5, 2024. The initial quote was 8-10 weeks delivery. While the product is very good (only slightly lighter shade of blue) their customer service sucks! Numerous unanswered emails and phone calls along the way. So if you are thinking about using SMS Auto Fabrics for anything be forewarned. I don't think they have a competitor so that may explain it.

Just so you know I ordered 20 yards of material. Total material and shipping cost was 2008.00 USD plus another 275.00 CDN for import taxes and brokerage fees.

IMG_6104.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was 20 yards the minimum amount that you could order?
They didn't state a minimum actually however I need to do the complete vehicle front to back. I has enough NOS material to do the front seat only.

In my vehicle Barnette used the same material for everything...seats, door panels, headliner, side panels...even the sun visors.

If you are going to do the sun visors, find a place that has the proper machine to sew sun visors. When I had my headliner replaced, I had the sun visors recovered also. I supplied the company with the material and from memory, I think it was $200 or $250 to have them sewn, but they look factory-perfect. If your visors are still good, then I would give them a cleaning with Simple Green and warm water, and towel dry. I have a vinyl conditioner out in the garage, but I don't remember the name of it. Also, consider putting DynaMat under the floor and in the doors and roof.

If you are going to do the sun visors, find a place that has the proper machine to sew sun visors. When I had my headliner replaced, I had the sun visors recovered also. I supplied the company with the material and from memory, I think it was $200 or $250 to have them sewn, but they look factory-perfect. If your visors are still good, then I would give them a cleaning with Simple Green and warm water, and towel dry. I have a vinyl conditioner out in the garage, but I don't remember the name of it. Also, consider putting DynaMat under the floor and in the doors and roof.
When you did yours Paul, did you use the panels or the sheets? Also, did you apply any additional adhesive to them?

I gave the original visors to be recovered and they used the original cardboard under the original vinyl. How they attach the new vinyl to the original visors I have no idea. I had mine done by the Corvair vendor that I know who has the correct sewing machine to sew visors. They no longer offer this service because they have a company that now makes new visors for them to sell with one exception for the 1060-1961. If your cardboard is good I can ask them if they will do yours. On your sun visors is the pivot part of the visor?

Sounds like the old partner Jack Pinner. Thats the way this 64 was what wasn't gm was all one color.
As for sound and insulation i don't think the dynamat is to be used on the overhead. I tried to on the 53 and it fell down. There is a lot of the foam or bubble center with the aluminium outer shell. It's a lot cheaper and glues in easily with weld wood contack cement. You can get it in about any lengths or how wide you want at most hardware stores.

Back