Einstein's hearse

Very interesting photo! Looks like an early 50's Eureka-is that black over gray? Despite what the caption says, I think it is more likely this was taken as the body was leaving the funeral home for the crematory. I wouldn't think a body would be removed from the hospital (or other place of death) in a casket.

Very interesting photo! Looks like an early 50's Eureka-is that black over gray? Despite what the caption says, I think it is more likely this was taken as the body was leaving the funeral home for the crematory. I wouldn't think a body would be removed from the hospital (or other place of death) in a casket.

At the Funeral Home

Early in the afternoon, Einstein's body was moved for a short time from the hospital to a funeral home in Princeton. The simple casket containing the corpse, post-autopsy, only stayed at the funeral home for an hour or so. Morse made his way there, and soon saw two men loading a casket into a hearse. For all Morse knew, Einstein's burial was imminent. Hoping to scope out a spot near the grave, he quickly drove to the Princeton Cemetery.

Yep, looks like a Eureka to me, a '53 if I was to guess. My flower car would love to have a matching '53 hearse. *sigh*

Interestingly, the casket in the photo looks amazingly like a shipping casket a local funeral home had given me, and that I currently use decorating for kids at Halloween.

Tom

www.bippusautostorage.com/cars

I agree with Tom that this is a '53 Eureka, McP's old book shows one of these and says it was available in 5 configurations. Pretty eerie photo. Feel as tho I am intruding into the moment by looking at it.

Back