Your Last Ride

I know its hard to think about .....but a buddy of mine who has about 6-8 months (before as he puts it ) to "check out" was thinking what he wants his last ride to be. he wants to use his newly restored 1956 Ford F100 Pick-up as his Hearse.....he just doesn't know if the Funeral Home will go for it ? not sure myself ??

anyways it got me thinking...what would your last ride be if you had to choose ?

My fantasy ride would be a 1933-34 Eureka carved panel Art Deco "beavertail" Town Car Cadillac

But in reality...

1st ...would be Tom Hoczyk's 1954 Eureka 3-way Cadillac
2nd.... would be Dan Brintliger's 1959 Eureka combination Cadillac( love those Fins ! )
3rd ... if all else fails......my 1987 Eureka Cadillac landau

Interesting thought, I guess since we will all take that ride, so choosing your professional car of choice does seem appropriate.
1 Tom Hoczyk's 60 Eureka would be a good choice, especially since I once owned a 60 Coupe deVille that same beautiful dark green color.
2 Any 50's, or 60's Superior limousine-style coach. I just love their styling!

the last ride

Mike,
I think your friend needs to discuss his last ride with the funeral home long before the day of need arises.
This is a question some of our members should be able to give very relevant opinions on.
There may be insurance and other considerations that come into play with a request like this.
My last ride I hope is in my 61 Miller-Meteor combination.
Mike

You mean this one?

You have exquisite tastes, Mike. In Tom McPherson's Eureka book is a photo of the '34 Carved Eureka Cadillac that I'd consider selling my entire collection to get. I think I'd want my '54 also, as I used it for my dad, and it was a beautiful ceremony.

Attachments

• 54_Eureka_034.jpg
    54_Eureka_034.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 393
  • 2008_0614muster0217.jpg
    2008_0614muster0217.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 393
I have had people use pick-ups, fire trucks, hay wagons, a milk delivery truck and even a manure spreader to take a casket from the funeral home to the church. Any funeral home who is doing their best to SERVE the family will let them use a pick-up. In my case, I never plan to die, so I won't need to ride in a hearse.

For what it's worth, there was ZERO problem using my '54 Eureka for my dad's funeral, or even my '60 S&S to transport my sister after she was disinterred in Florida and flown to Fort Wayne to a final resting place next to her daddy. I did the transport of my sister, although one of the funeral directors had to be there with me to sign papers upon receipt. I have run several (paying) funerals with no problem either. Hagerty told me that if the transport was a living person, it would be considered limousine service requiring much different insurance. With the dead...... Hagerty says no problem.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 381
My choice: '34 Eureka Carved Side Cadillac

'34 Eureka Carved Side Cadillac

Attachments

• 34_Eureka_001.jpg
    34_Eureka_001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 34_Eureka_002.jpg
    34_Eureka_002.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 376
I either want to go in Tom's 54 Eureka 3-Way, or Virgle Onnen's 61 Eureka Combo, or Bill Peoples 27 Henney. Yes I have put a lot of thought in to this. Hopefully by then, one of these cars will still be around. Between the 3 of them, at least one of them should be. And whitch ever one it is, it better be followed by a long line of Pro-Cars. That is as long as my PCS family are willing to show up.

Josh

Attachments

• 54Eureka.jpg
    54Eureka.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Vergle 1961 Eureka combo.jpg
    Vergle 1961 Eureka combo.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Mis Henney.jpg
    Mis Henney.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 331
Mike,
I think your friend needs to discuss his last ride with the funeral home long before the day of need arises.
This is a question some of our members should be able to give very relevant opinions on.
There may be insurance and other considerations that come into play with a request like this.
My last ride I hope is in my 61 Miller-Meteor combination.
Mike

I've worked funerals where we used firetrucks, dump trucks, trucks, even used a gooseneck truck and trailer. They shouldn't have a problem. I've even used a Harley for an Urn alter.

I've worked funerals where we used firetrucks, dump trucks, trucks, even used a gooseneck truck and trailer. They shouldn't have a problem. I've even used a Harley for an Urn alter.

I have also heard that a company is building "motorcycle hearses" ?:bonk:

, it better be followed by a long line of Pro-Cars. That is as long as my PCS family are willing to show up.

Josh[/QUOTE]

Thats what I want also........ a Pro-Car meet at my funeral :4_11_9:

I would like my last ride to be in my own 1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria. I have always loved the Cadillac built in the year of my birth.

Attachments

• Picture 1907.jpg
    Picture 1907.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 1914.jpg
    Picture 1914.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 175
My choice if there still running and under my ownership at the of my death would be my 1977 M-M Landau Traditional with my 73 M-M Classic Duplex serving as the lead car.:toocool: If not I expect my procession to be filled with members pro-cars and if my cars are not or can not be used you guys can slug it out to see who will carry my casket to the cemetery!:twak::clubem: Also I want the grave crew to ask the question that was asked at Bernie DeWinters funeral when we arrived at the cemetery, which hearse is the casket in?:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_20110601_134613-1.jpg
    IMG_20110601_134613-1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 73 M-M Ledford, Tenn..jpg
    73 M-M Ledford, Tenn..jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 165
Bill and the others are right. If the funeral home is worth their salt they'll honor his/the familys' request. I went to a funeral a bit out of town a few years back and the vehicle used for the trip to the cemetery from the church was the deceaseds Dodge Ram shortbed(!)pick-up truck. The funeral home brought the casket to the church in the hearse, so it was there just in case something went wrong; but all they did was put a skeleton rack in the pick-up bed and loaded the casket, and away they went. I was also told they did another funeral that way, only that time they had to go over the local bridge to get to the cemetery. I believe in that instance they had some rope tied to the swing bars on the casket in addition to the bier pins, so it wouldn't slide out going up the bridge.

Bill and the others are right. If the funeral home is worth their salt they'll honor his/the familys' request. I went to a funeral a bit out of town a few years back and the vehicle used for the trip to the cemetery from the church was the deceaseds Dodge Ram shortbed(!)pick-up truck. The funeral home brought the casket to the church in the hearse, so it was there just in case something went wrong; but all they did was put a skeleton rack in the pick-up bed and loaded the casket, and away they went. I was also told they did another funeral that way, only that time they had to go over the local bridge to get to the cemetery. I believe in that instance they had some rope tied to the swing bars on the casket in addition to the bier pins, so it wouldn't slide out going up the bridge.

Correct. I know at my friends funeral home he has used a semi tractor once, and on another occasion took the hearse out on the local racetrack and did a few laps because the deceased was a stock car driver on that track. Im sure he has done more but he has pics of these funerals on his website.

Back