which is old and which is new

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
got into a discussion on the cot mounts for the fernos. the slide that goes on the wheel well. some were mounted with 3 small screws so wit two large ones. so any one have any Ida which is the older one? and anyone know when they switched over for slotted screws to the Philips head?

this 67 has the two big screws with the nut and washer on the backside. but as I recall the smaller one has the threaded plate that went on the inside.

the small on has 1 3/4 between the screws the bigger one are 1/14

Attachments

• IMG_6860.jpg
    IMG_6860.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_6869.jpg
    IMG_6869.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 196
Ed - I like stretcher esoterica too.

I reviewed the 1963 F-W catalog, and the Model 1 pictured (small, besides) has the mounting bracket holes obscured by the cot bar itself. I think the best source would be the F-W technical drawings, but I've had no luck with their customer service in the past.

Wasn't the two hole/shorter mount a Washington Mortuary product?

Washington mounts are wider then the ferno. I thinking all the sets I have had hands on were 2 hole. Some were closed on the bottom also. We're all the ferno are a drop threw style.

More trying to figure out when the did the cross over to Phillips from the slotted head.

got to think maybe it best to revisit these. the last meet there were a few people there selling old stuff,but they knew not what the had. that's OK as long as the buyer does.

here is the difference between the ferno cot mount and the washington. you can see if you try you can get the ferno slide in the washington mount but a hard tug would pull it out. no way to do it the other way. as I said I had a set of washington mounts that were open on the bottom. they went to Texas.

then it not a great pictures but the washington bar is on the top. once you have had one in your had you will not mistake them.

Attachments

• gurney mount 1.jpg
    gurney mount 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 91
  • gurny mount 2.jpg
    gurny mount 2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 91
  • gurney hook.jpg
    gurney hook.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 93
However, not all Washington bars look like that one. Some are a straight bar and have the "push-in end" that looks pretty much identical to the Ferno.

As they were still offered under the Washington name till at least 64. I would not doubt that different sizes or shapes . The slides would be the give away and the bar is larger then the ferno I did find one Washington with 3 slides the center one was a different shape the the outer ones. guessing it was a heavy duty unit. But the weak point is still the spring loaded catch.

Looks like the O.D. on this Washington bar is 1-1/8".

Picked this one up from C-W Coach this past week.

Attachments

• Wash 1.jpg
    Wash 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Wash 2.jpg
    Wash 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Wash 3.jpg
    Wash 3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Wash 4.jpg
    Wash 4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Wash 5.jpg
    Wash 5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 56
I'll check the ones I have. Here. those look like ferno slides and Washington hooks. Tape the wide side of the slides​ and we can till.

I picked up one from Jeremy last summer that had a Washington label and everything else was ferno style. it's not a far stretch to assume that they did a lot of things like this as they weeded out the Washington brand from there system.

but did the wrench trick this morning and discover that the washington bars I have here are 1 1/16 and the fernos are 1

it would not have been a problem drilling the casting for either size.

that ferno bar is one I made up for the caddy and the modal 28. the hooks are set to grab the armrest. I just did not want to cut up the floor in the cars to put in the angle wings and rear lock.

left out the up load button again

Attachments

• IMG_6991.jpg
    IMG_6991.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6992.jpg
    IMG_6992.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6993.jpg
    IMG_6993.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 21
Back