1937 Henney Olds Ambulance

On-line auction from Wisconsin:

http://robbiesoldit.hibid.com/lot/28396445/1937-henney-ambulance-on-oldsmobile-chassis/?sort=2&ref=catalog

fi1.cgi

1937 Henney - Oldsmobile Ambulance
VIN: 8940. Odometer reads: 29,233. Manual transmission. This ambulance is owned by life long New Richmond resident, Mr. Chuck Mehls. Information from the owner: Henney was located in Freeport, Illinois. Henney-Oldsmobiles were built between 1934 and 1937 only. From 1938 through 1954 - when they went out of business - Henney built on the Packard chassis exclusively. They manufactured funeral cars & hearses & ambulances. Research shows that only five are in existence today(one is the Mayo museum, one in Trenton, NJ, two belonging to an Illinois funeral home and this one from New Richmond, WI. Very stylish, wood cabinetry, no real life support equipment but a well in the front cabinet for a bottle of oxygen if desired. Limited space for patient care as medics did not exist at that time. External enclosed spare tire fender mount is a classic. The engine is a flathead 6 cylinder. The top looks to have a leak as the interior headliner shows staining along the driver's side. The car starts, runs and drives. The title work is currently being processed through the Madison, WI DMV. The owner never had a title and the DMV is doing a history of the car in order to either get a duplicate title or issue a new one. This transaction can be retracted by the high bidder if a title is not issued. You are encouraged to attend the open house or make an appointent to inspect this vehicle. All medical equipment is included as shown in the photos. The lights and sirens work well. Please rely on the photos for color, style, damage, equipment, etc.

The blurb that accompanies his car is hilarious. Poor Robbie, he hasn't a clue about the car or the coachbuilder. Looks to be an excellent example though. I hope that it's purchased by someone that appreciates the vehicle, its rarity and will preserve it. Despite all the errors in his write-up, it is a rare car. Thanks, Steve, for posting this one.

It would look to be a good start for some interested in having one. The green mold in the headliner Suggest long time storage in a less then desirable place. But if one only had to redo the interior your way on top of the price to bring one up go this condition. The original air cleaner may take some to find. Someone with more experance then I do with them may chime in on the cabinet placment and how the gurney would be fastened in place.

That interior is nothing short of gross! Needs to be completely gutted. Gotta love those dummy spot lights!! The beacon looks like it is going to roll off of the roof!

Keith,
Was this a side-servicing hearse originally?

Beautiful Henney that I agree was originally a side servicing coach. That is how it should have been restored. It is not even close to original. This car could be saved and properly restored. The question is at what cost.
The cabinets, floor, gurney, 02 setup and interior are wrong, and not what belongs in that car. Some people should not restore old cars, they just make a mess.:mad:

I am the licensed & registered auctioneer representing this servicing coach/ambulance and the description is what the owner gave me and wanted in the listing. I am not an expert on automobiles and I do 80+ auctions per year and I sometimes have to rely on the owners of items for information and history. I am selling his collection of (3) ambulances at this time as he is 80+ years young. There are very low minimums on them as he would like them to be restored & enjoyed for years to come. Sorry if the information is incorrect and I encourage you to judge for yourself but not to insult me as to my knowledge of the cars. It is up t the bidders/buyers to do their research and to rely on the many photos to determine the value of this rare car.

Robbie
www.RobbieSoldit.com

I am the licensed & registered auctioneer representing this servicing coach/ambulance and the description is what the owner gave me and wanted in the listing. I am not an expert on automobiles and I do 80+ auctions per year and I sometimes have to rely on the owners of items for information and history. Sorry if the information is incorrect and I encourage you to judge for yourself but not to insult me as to my knowledge of the cars. It is up t the bidders/buyers to do their research and to rely on the many photos to determine the value of this rare car.

What happens when you discover that something you have up for auction has been falsely described? Do you feel no obligation to correct it?

Let's say this car sells to someone that trusts your description. What is your liability when/if a buyer finds out he has been lied to?

I am the licensed & registered auctioneer representing this servicing coach/ambulance and the description is what the owner gave me and wanted in the listing. I am not an expert on automobiles and I do 80+ auctions per year and I sometimes have to rely on the owners of items for information and history. I am selling his collection of (3) ambulances at this time as he is 80+ years young. There are very low minimums on them as he would like them to be restored & enjoyed for years to come. Sorry if the information is incorrect and I encourage you to judge for yourself but not to insult me as to my knowledge of the cars. It is up t the bidders/buyers to do their research and to rely on the many photos to determine the value of this rare car.

Robbie
www.RobbieSoldit.com

That's alright, Robbie. We here at the PCS see this type of misinformation all the time. It's one of the reasons we exist - to set the record straight and be of assistance to those interested in professional vehicles. There's a lot of improper information out there on these vehicles and...as seen...even some owners often don't really know what they've got. They can only tell you what they know. I don't believe that anyone here set out to insult you and am sorry if you took any of the comments above personally. We are available to assist you with information whenever possible and sincerely hope that someone that respects this vehicle will eventually purchase and restore it properly.

been a lot of these cars that were modified but there original owners rather then buy two new rigs. the older one was just redone to fit the need. a lot of times the current owner has no knowledge of this either and one it gets passed.
if you know the Hx of the modification some time they are worth more then the original car. still sitting at a good price for some one looking for one.

Back