trunk lite

how dose the trunk light go on and of on the 68 fleetwood 75 It has not worked sence I have had the car but I see no switch for it
The Cadillac repair book shows some sort of a switch for the lite but I don't have one

It is a mercury contact switch that is integral with the light fixture itself. Open the trunk and it goes on and close the trunk, and it goes off. Check to see if there is power to the light fixture first before going any further. No power is a defective fuse in the front fuse block..

I would be willing to bet it has to have the headlight switch on at least the park position to come on. if I remember right my 67 olds was that way. instead of being wired hot it was wired threw the headlight switch. then came on with the mercury switch in the unit when you opened the trunk.

thanks

I will check it out I have not found any thing in the owners manual I have all the trim off the interior getting ready to paint and trying to get to all my BUGS before I get it back together

ground it

Make sure you have a CLEAN ground for the light too. You may try a continuity tester to see if the light is good. Like Paul said, check the fuse first. You might try changing the fuse too. I had a glass barrel type that burned in the end, not in the sight glass. It looked like a fine fuse but that was the point of the headaches. Good luck.
Mike

got power

We dug into the wiring as long as the rear seat was gone and the side panals were removed and after traceing the wire from the harnes under the rear opera window through the rear fender we found the wire broken in half in he insolation. fixed the wire and had power at the lite socket but the bulb wont lite the lite looks good but the car went off to the paint shop:clap: before i got a new bulb
I think I will have a fresh new painted car by the weekend and if their is and money left after getting the car painted I will try to get a new bulb

Back