1975 siren

How about the Sterling model 30 or the MARS 10" Commander, perhaps even the Sireno ED-10? All of these are large good sounding sirens. I am particularly fond of the Sterling model 30. Of course, one must include the Federal C Class as well. What about the B&M CS-8?
As one can see, you are not limited to a choice between just two sirens.
John Dorgan

Thanks John. But were all of these offered by Superior in 1975 though?

Right side we have but sure could use a left (over driver's side). I used a "Q" when running rig back in the 70's and recently just picked up a "Q2B" so I'm a bit partial to em.

:myopinion::sleep:

Well, in that case go ahead and offend as much as you'd like. Attached to a nice nylon rope, the "Q" makes a darned good boat anchor- unless there's a lot of silt on the lake bottom. Then you have to cut the perfectly good rope to move on.

BTW, you DID make mention of needing a right side speaker bracket in another thread.

Thanks John. But were all of these offered by Superior in 1975 though?

Sterling closed its doors in 1971. Most of what was left wound up in the hands of two people, with the majority going to Canon City, Colorado in late 1972. They tried to market vehicle sirens briefly in 1973 with no success. They decided to concentrate on stationary sirens and changed their name to Sentry Siren. So to answer the question, Sterling-no. Sireno-yes, several models. John, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their 10" siren was known as the Jetstream at that time. Mars stopped producing sirens in 1973 when Oliver Borland shut the doors but resumed under Bob Wylie's ownership in 1983.

Checking the B&M logbooks, it doesn't look like Superior bought any CS8B's after 1961, although they certainly were available. For some reason, that model is still popular in Massachusetts. We're preparing one now for Sutphen, destined for Gardner, MA.

Something else to consider is that many dealers and fleet owners bought their cars without warning equipment. One such fleet here in the L.A. area was Southland Ambulance of Anaheim, CA. They would buy hightop C/B Oldsmobiles with tunnel lights only. When the new car arrived its first stop was a local body shop to have a siren mounting pad fabricated on the right fender. They would then pull the Super Chief and 184 beacon from the retiring unit and put them on the new car. Using that thinking, it would be a hoot to see a 1975 Superior with a Sterling Big Chief!

Well, in that case go ahead and offend as much as you'd like. Attached to a nice nylon rope, the "Q" makes a darned good boat anchor- unless there's a lot of silt on the lake bottom. Then you have to cut the perfectly good rope to move on.

BTW, you DID make mention of needing a right side speaker bracket in another thread.

I needed them when I had the Criterion and was going to mount a couple speakers up there. No need now. TKS

B & m

The only reason I listed Federal products first in my previous post is that they are predominantly what we've always had in this part of the country. Until the show "Emergency" I don't ever remember hearing a B & M siren. I always thought of them as being a "west coast" thing. To this day, I've still never actually seen a B & M in person.

I am very impressed with everything I've read about them though.

There are 2 B & M's on Rescue trucks in Metro Detroit as We speak. There is an Owner of an Ambulance company that Kept all of the B & M's off of their old vehicles and does not let anyone Near them

Russ

There are 2 B & M's on Rescue trucks in Metro Detroit as We speak. There is an Owner of an Ambulance company that Kept all of the B & M's off of their old vehicles and does not let anyone Near them

Russ

Could you please tell me whose Rescue trucks have them, I'll be looking for them. The Owner who kept all the B & M's wouldn't happen to be the guy who owned the "old" Superior Ambulance back in the late 60's and early 70's would it??? Reddish/Orange Cadillac low top rides (maybe S & S). Not to make a fibber out of myself but I think they may have had B & M's. How close am I???

There is an Owner of an Ambulance company that Kept all of the B & M's off of their old vehicles and does not let anyone Near them

Would this be the old Superior Ambulance Service in Wyandotte? I remember seeing several of their S&S/Cadillacs with Super Chief whistles.

Get what you like to listen to!

Hi Jim...much like alot of things procar related, in the end I'd suggest you get what you like best. YouTube is great for hearing alot of what is out there. Even better to listen to them in person to actually "feel" the siren. As you've read, there are many views of what is "the best" siren and all have merit.

So choose the siren that you like the sound of best. I happen to prefer the sound of a double-tone siren so that's what I'll be putting on my Lifeliner along with an Federal Interceptor electronic siren. I managed to find a 6 volt double-tone with a Propello-Ray a few years back and that'll go on my '53 Pontiac.

siren options

Jim: If I could echo Bills comment. There are a lot of great options available. Cliff B. has posted on u-tube his collection. Check out a 66G. If it looks "too small" on the roof, put it under hood. Ah the fun of rebuilding these cars.

I appreciate everyone's opinions on sirens. I will take each view into consideration. As it was back in 1975, I understand that the final decision of what siren adorns my roof will be up to me. To make this restoration as authentic as possible, I specifically placed this question into the “Period Correct” forum in order to prevent me from purchasing and mounting a siren that wasn’t even available back then. I am under the assumption that all of the sirens mentioned within this thread were available in 1975?

Could you please tell me whose Rescue trucks have them, I'll be looking for them. The Owner who kept all the B & M's wouldn't happen to be the guy who owned the "old" Superior Ambulance back in the late 60's and early 70's would it??? Reddish/Orange Cadillac low top rides (maybe S & S). Not to make a fibber out of myself but I think they may have had B & M's. How close am I???

The Rescue Trucks are owned by the Dearborn Heights Fire dept.
The Guy with all of the Super chief's owns Universal Ambulance
Superior was gone by the time I started work on the eastside of the State
But I have seen Pics of their Vehicles and I Believe You are right

Russ

Thanks guys!!

Thanks Kevin and Tim for the "plug"!! I'm glad one of my SC vid's has made it to the PCS site :) If anyone wants to see more just search my youtube user name. 911Caddy.
The SC in the video if I recall correctly is from 1954.. (except for the siren front which was very damaged and replaced with modern stainless)
Kevin had the info on the siren still? Wow! I seem to recall him saying it was originally mounted on an Oldsmobile Ambulance.
Love those Super Chiefs! But, if I didn't have one.. I'd go with a nicely broken in Sterling #30. But, it would have to be the version with the all chrome front similar to the "Chief"!

Superior Ambulance Service in Wyandotte, MI ... 1970's

Would this be the old Superior Ambulance Service in Wyandotte? I remember seeing several of their S&S/Cadillacs with Super Chief whistles.

Here is a nice shot, made early in 1970 I believe, depicting several of the Superior Ambulance Service (Wyandotte, MI) S&S Cadillacs Steve referred to ... indeed adorned with "Super Chief whistles."

SUPERIOR%20AMB%20Moving%20Old%20Beyer%20Hosp.jpg

How about... the MARS 10" Commander... you are not limited to a choice between just two sirens.

For reference, here are some comparison shots depicting the Federal Q2B and the "MARS 10" Commander," ... a siren which John D mentioned in his earlier post.

MARS%20Commander%20MST-B%20Siren2web.jpg

Federal%20Q%20Mars%20Commander%204%20WEB.jpg

Federal%20Q%20Mars%20Commander%202%20WEB.jpg

Federal%20Q%20Mars%20Commander%207%20WEB.jpg

Federal%20Q%20Mars%20Commander%203%20WEB.jpg

Here is a nice shot, made early in 1970 I believe, depicting several of the Superior Ambulance Service (Wyandotte, MI) S&S Cadillacs Steve referred to ... indeed adorned with "Super Chief whistles."

SUPERIOR%20AMB%20Moving%20Old%20Beyer%20Hosp.jpg

Thanks much Dave. Man, those coaches were beautiful!! Funny thing is, I used to run up in that area (downriver and west suburbs of Detroit) 5 nights a week and NEVER once did I ever see one of them running "hot". Used to see Detroit Squad 7 multiple times per night in different places.

Was that picture taken at the old Wayne County Hospital in Dearborn per chance???

Memories, such sweet things they are.

Back