1975 siren

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
What would be the correct mechanical siren to mount on the roof of a 1975 Superior high-top ambulance? Thanks

Every body and their brother has a Q. Dare to be different! Get a B&M Super Chief.

260_super_chief_cutout_BW_w_id.jpg

Above picture from Kevin's website. http://www.siro-driftsirens.com/

The sound of the Q and the B&M are great but the B&M is so distinctive. A very cool siren.

The sound of the Q and the B&M are great but the B&M is so distinctive. A very cool siren.

You can say that again Ron! I love my Super Chief Siro-Drift.

Get an ear full here:

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_zkt7i-Ug&feature=related[/ame]

This one sounds great as well.

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=W-vJSpy3ifA&feature=related[/ame]

Uh Oh, 3 votes for Federal and 3 votes for B&M ..... I need some more opinions PLEASE!

Got to go with a Q
:smileflagcan:

Why? When you consider a B&M draws less than half the amps at peak power, and weighs half as much, is louder at 100 feet, and will last a lifetime?

Quality

All B&M siren components are designed to provide maximum effectiveness, efficiency, and longevity. We equip our sirens with only the finest bearings and other components. Our stators, rotor tips and covers are all made of stainless steel.

B&M siren clutches are the strongest and most free rolling in the industry. Our clutches are made from heat treated tool and gear steels. Our competitors use a 'drawn cup roller clutch', the housing of which is essentially stamped from a piece of sheet metal, with a plastic insert.

The manufacturing tolerances of B&M sirens are significant to their performance and efficiency. A big, loose siren is like a worn-out pump; a lot of wasted energy for similar output. One line of small sirens is plagued with failures due to being made too tight, among other problems.

One of our competitors does not even sell parts for their siren motors. They apparently expect their customers to pay for a whole new motor when the brushes or bearings need replacement. We maintain an inventory of every individual part that goes into our sirens, and almost never sell a complete replacement motor. It just isn't usually necessary. Our motors are made by us, here in the USA, not shipped in as complete units from China.

The typical well used, but well cared-for 40 year-old B&M siren that comes in for service needs only motor brushes, bearings, a good cleaning, and a few specialized factory procedures to return it to full factory performance. Unless it has been severely damaged, we can restore virtually any B&M siren, of any vintage, to its original factory performance. Please see the 'B&M Service' page.

Back

Ahead to... '...Too Loud!'

Warning: These sirens produce very loud sounds. Good judgment and suitable hearing protection must be properly utilized by personnel when testing sirens and by those involved in emergency response.

© 2011, B&M Siren Manufacturing Co.

The only reason I listed Federal products first in my previous post is that they are predominantly what we've always had in this part of the country. Until the show "Emergency" I don't ever remember hearing a B & M siren. I always thought of them as being a "west coast" thing. To this day, I've still never actually seen a B & M in person.

I am very impressed with everything I've read about them though.

The only reason I listed Federal products first in my previous post is that they are predominantly what we've always had in this part of the country. Until the show "Emergency" I don't ever remember hearing a B & M siren. I always thought of them as being a "west coast" thing. To this day, I've still never actually seen a B & M in person.

I am very impressed with everything I've read about them though.

If you look at Miller-Meteor brochures from the 60's and 70's, you will see that they offered the B&M Super Chief as one of the siren options. Kevin can tell you how many were sold.

"unfair vote"

Robert, to echo Russells comment, it was unfortunately a one sided vote for me. I have never seen (or heard live) a B&M. Up here :smileflagcan: all that was seen in the 50's through 70's was Federal equipment. Whether it related to servicing or simply familiarity, it is the way it was. The B&M certainly have a great sleek appearance.
I will modify my vote and say either would be an excellent choice.

Gotta go with the "Q". You can crank this thing up and come back in a week and it's still churning.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBY-iXLNnjg&feature=related[/ame]

Not so fast......

Gotta go with the "Q". You can crank this thing up and come back in a week and it's still churning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBY-iXLNnjg&feature=related

It may be spinning after three minutes, but thanks to sloppy fit parts, it's not making noise. Even at full wail, a Super Chief is quieter in the cab and louder at true operating distances.

You may want to rethink this, Richard. The owner of B&M has a right side speaker bracket for a Lifeliner/Criterion. You wouldn't want to offend him, would you? :pat:

You may want to rethink this, Richard. The owner of B&M has a right side speaker bracket for a Lifeliner/Criterion. You wouldn't want to offend him, would you? :pat:

Right side we have but sure could use a left (over driver's side). I used a "Q" when running rig back in the 70's and recently just picked up a "Q2B" so I'm a bit partial to em.

:myopinion::sleep:

Opinions

How about the Sterling model 30 or the MARS 10" Commander, perhaps even the Sireno ED-10? All of these are large good sounding sirens. I am particularly fond of the Sterling model 30. Of course, one must include the Federal C Class as well. What about the B&M CS-8?
As one can see, you are not limited to a choice between just two sirens.
John Dorgan

Back