PCS Members take 2 Awards

James Fischer

PCS Member
This week-end was the Ripon Emergency Vehicle Show.....
PCS was represented by myself in my 1972 Cadillac Superior ambulance and fellow member Tom Shafer in his 1975 Cadillac Miller-Meteor "Medic 5" ambulance.....
Tom was deservedly given 3rd Place in the ambulance class and I was VERY happy to recieve 1st Place !!
It was a beautiful fall week-end in the central part of the valley....\
An awesome code 3 parade thru the town of Ripon was held before the awards were given out back at the community center.....
There were aprx 156 Emergency vehicles in the parade.....upon returning to the show we saw one of the ambulances still sitting with a tow truck in front of it.......The ambulance was a 1972 MM belonging to AMR driven by 2 of their "lady" employees.....
They told us the rig would not start,and was running VERY hot as in steaming and hissing all the way from the San Francisco area (130+ miles away).....they did not stop at any point,and said the engine was losing power as they got closer to the show earlier Saturday and was knocking and pinging....but they figured they could get to the show...well they got there but they were not leaving....not in the rig anyway......
They said that the rig had been sitting all year,and they just put gas in it and left ....:confused:
Here are a few pictures of the show......

and more can be seen on :

http://s1078.photobucket.com/albums/w486/nurgin/?action=view&current=DSCN2156.jpg

DSCN2216.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

DSCN2165.jpg

DSCN2123.jpg

DSCN2155.jpg

DSCN2163.jpg

DSCN2156.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your awards!! That CHP SSP Mustang is amazing.

Rich,
Thank you.....THIS is the Unit that I thought was amazing:893USA-Smilie-thumb
This is the NEW 2013 Chevy Tahoe that CHP will now be using in place of "regular cruisers"....they have ordered aprx 800 units.....main reason they say is "ROOM"...the CHP carries a ton of equipment...so they say this vehicle fits the bill.....
This unit is one of the Valley Division's "Incident Command Center"

DSCN2187.jpg

DSCN2183.jpg

DSCN2182.jpg

DSCN2186.jpg

Congratulations to both you and Tom on your awards. Thank you for posting the pictures. Your ambulance is looking fine!

way to go guys. bet that Tahoe doesn't shut off at 98 mph. but nbc doesn't have that much broad cast equipment.

Another PCS Member

Jim: Actually ANOTHER PCS Member took (a lowly) 3rd Place in the "Best Fire Vehicle" Class with our X-CDF 1985 Dodge Diplomat Ranger's Car. (*) I wasn't able to make it personally this year (Hewy & Ruth drove the Diplomat up for us) but understand that Your's and Tom Shafer's Rigs were absolute "stand-outs". On the AMR Cadillac.... I am sure they will "re-motor it" as they use it for "PR" Events all over Central and Northern CA and are "regulars" at Ripon every year. MM

Jim: Actually ANOTHER PCS Member took (a lowly) 3rd Place in the "Best Fire Vehicle" Class with our X-CDF 1985 Dodge Diplomat Ranger's Car. (*) I wasn't able to make it personally this year (Hewy & Ruth drove the Diplomat up for us) but understand that Your's and Tom Shafer's Rigs were absolute "stand-outs". On the AMR Cadillac.... I am sure they will "re-motor it" as they use it for "PR" Events all over Central and Northern CA and are "regulars" at Ripon every year. MM

Mike thank you for that information.....I did not mean to leave anyone out...and congrats to them as well...I was kind of overwhelmed with the crowds we had...I did not get a chance to chat with to many other entrants..as we were mobbed with public questions and photo ops most of the time.....my wife handed out promo cards and I had tattoos made of the 72 and the kids just went wild over them......along with "Emergency Vehicle" coloring books:dancing:

According to Mike with AMR,he told me that this just might be the demise of that rig......he said management already said that they did not want to soak anymore money into it as it was.....thats why they had NO equipment in it,and the floor was so bad in the pt compartment that they just put gray carpet all over it...he said that rig needs a lot more then a motor...... while it was loading on the tow truck..

way to go guys. bet that Tahoe doesn't shut off at 98 mph. but nbc doesn't have that much broad cast equipment.

Ed: To my knowledge, they only have a handfull of these Special "Incident Command" Units througout the state used on smaller incidents that they don't need to utilize a "full size" Mobile Command Center Rig. Although the Mobile ICP Tahoes have virtually every frequency possible in the state, the CHP's Primary Frequency is still Low-Band thru Micro-Wave Repeaters.

The (800) or so patrol units they buy every year and need thru attrition are being replaced primarly by the AWD "Explorer Looking Version" of the New Ford Interceptor along with some of the two wheel drive "Taurus Looking Version" sedans. They still have quite a "stockpile" of un-used CVPI's. MM

Back