How many Criterion's are left...

Richard, that one you just posted with the diagonal red stripe looks like one of the ex-BC Ambulance units. I'd love to know what information you have on it. Thanks!

Richard, that one you just posted with the diagonal red stripe looks like one of the ex-BC Ambulance units. I'd love to know what information you have on it. Thanks!

Sorry Doug I have no information whatsoever. The picture was forwarded to me so I could count it and post. Looking at it and at yours, must be a Canadian thing to feature only one speaker. :yankchain:

After further review, I believe this is Henry's Criterion after all. :agree:

are we sure that Henery's is a 76?

I think so but when I zoom in I could not be 100% sure. I thought I found an Olds Criterion but it is not. Cool looking though.

How about this Pinner-Criterion?

PinnerCriterion.jpg

197520cb20Olds20crit.jpg

the olds is a window delete. they just left the back quarter glass off and it has the pass threw floor in the center doors I think. like a lot of lifeliners did.
I'm guessing the other car is a 75 as I don't see the distinctive 76 top band. but I don't remember the corning lights enough to say.

Olds?

I think so but when I zoom in I could not be 100% sure. I thought I found an Olds Criterion but it is not. Cool looking though.

How about this Pinner-Criterion?

PinnerCriterion.jpg

197520cb20Olds20crit.jpg

It does look like an Olds with the fender wells. Also what's the deal with the slight bubble in the upper ambulance body skin?.... it doesn't look like any Criterion I've bee around? MM

It does look like an Olds with the fender wells. Also what's the deal with the slight bubble in the upper ambulance body skin?.... it doesn't look like any Criterion I've bee around? MM

Not a Criterion Mike but an Oldsmobile with the window delete option. I thought it looked like a Criterion.

There were supposedly two of those...

Those 1975 C/B Oldsmobiles have been somewhat of an annoyance over the years. Not that they aren't unique and interesting cars; two identical are said to have been built and I think I have photos of both. However, people have had a tendency to call them "Criterions." Yet, they're not.

So what makes a Criterion a Criterion, you ask? Well, I would say a Criterion must have the full left side wall with the 1/2 door for concealed spare tire storage. A Criterion need not have the "walk through" partition; I have seen two Criterions built with full partitions and front bench seats.

The Oldsmobiles, like some Lifeliners built by M-M, are simply landau 54" cars. The proper description would be 1975 Cotner/Bevington Oldsmobile Cotington 54 landau ambulance.

As for the white '74 Criterion with the red diagonal stripe over the roof, yes, that is a B.C. rig. I have some photos that I'll post. The photo Richard posted has been "touched up" because the original did not have a Ghostbusters logo and had one electronic siren speaker.

BTW, I'm still going through my slides looking for the Holland Criterion...

1) Here's a photo of the interior of the '75 C-B previously shown, that was at the PCS International meet in '88 in Lambertville, NJ. It has large, sliding-door cabinets on the left wall. But they don't go to the roof. It does have the step-down floor between the doors like Criterions, as well as sliding-door cabinets on the divider, and the backboard compartment on the roof. Clearly, it used parts from the Criterion line. And it has Ful-Vu lights, too! So is it a C-B Criterion? Or not? You decide. (We could be debating this for years to come. Why didn't I just buy it that day when I had the chance?)

2) Nobody's posted the fleet photo from Capitol City Ambulance in Des Moines, IA yet. So here it is. At the risk of causing Richard to have a stroke, yes, they are all Criterions. (Is that a Jeep Cherokee ambulance in the back row?)

Attachments

• 75CBOldsCritInt.jpg
    75CBOldsCritInt.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 512
  • Fleet CapitolCityDesMoinesIA.jpg
    Fleet CapitolCityDesMoinesIA.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 573
Is the last one on the right (painted red) also a criterion or something else??

1) Here's a photo of the interior of the '75 C-B previously shown, that was at the PCS International meet in '88 in Lambertville, NJ. It has large, sliding-door cabinets on the left wall. But they don't go to the roof. It does have the step-down floor between the doors like Criterions, as well as sliding-door cabinets on the divider, and the backboard compartment on the roof. Clearly, it used parts from the Criterion line. And it has Ful-Vu lights, too! So is it a C-B Criterion? Or not? You decide. (We could be debating this for years to come. Why didn't I just buy it that day when I had the chance?)

2) Nobody's posted the fleet photo from Capitol City Ambulance in Des Moines, IA yet. So here it is. At the risk of causing Richard to have a stroke, yes, they are all Criterions. (Is that a Jeep Cherokee ambulance in the back row?)

1. She's a C/B landau ambulance.

2. Marty Hutt, owner of CCA, traded several of these in to Stratus over the years on new and used Type IIs.

3. If I remember correctly, it was some sort of specialized or winter response vehicle, but was not set up for transport (Ken E., feel free to jump in on this).

Nobody's posted the fleet photo from Capitol City Ambulance in Des Moines, IA yet. So here it is. At the risk of causing Richard to have a stroke, yes, they are all Criterions. (Is that a Jeep Cherokee ambulance in the back row?)

Wow Steve, looks like 14 Criterions..... I'm grabbing the nitro as I attempt to type this. :4_11_9::4_11_9::4_11_9::thumb:

Crap, Terri is still logged in so this is from me not her!!!

Checking my photos, we missed one more from Maryland. This '74 is from Bel Air, MD. Interestingly, no roof box.

With the one posted earlier from Brunswick, MD and my car from Northmont Ambulance in Gaithersburg, MD (originally from nearby Dagsboro, DE), I think that about covers the Criterions of Maryland. By '74, most everyone here was buying box ambulances.

Hey, Richard, please don't take a Nitro if you're having a stroke, that'll only make it worse if it's a bleed!

(Disclaimer: This is not intended as medical advice. Please check with your physician for further instructions. For excitement lasting more than 4 hours, please seek emergency care immediately.) :yum:

Attachments

• 74MMCadCriterionBelAirMD.jpg
    74MMCadCriterionBelAirMD.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 414
B.C. Criterion

Here is the original photo of a B.C. '74 Criterion.

Quiz for Richard: Other than the fact there are so many of them, can you identify something significant about the fleet shot of Capital City Criterions? (Hint: You may have to look very closely and carefully at each rig.) Anybody else (except for the two Steves, who probably know the answer I'm looking for) feel free to jump in here with a guess...

Attachments

• Criterions 001.jpg
    Criterions 001.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 423

Quiz for Richard: Other than the fact there are so many of them, can you identify something significant about the fleet shot of Capital City Criterions? (Hint: You may have to look very closely and carefully at each rig.) Anybody else (except for the two Steves, who probably know the answer I'm looking for) feel free to jump in here with a guess...

Tony: 5 or maybe more seem to gave something different on the front doors?..... of course it could something with my aging eyes too! (*) Was the Physican's Criterion originally new in CA.... or a transplant? THX-MM

Good guess, Mike, but not what I'm looking for. I do believe the Physician's car was new in CA and probably to them. Remember, they purchased a brand-new 1977 Superior Cadillac Transport Ambulance too.

Kind of hard to magnify them enough to see. I thought at first they were all 74's but the first one on the left has square headlights. I see a varity of sirens and lights on top, all have backboard boxes, different tires, some with door decals and others without. I see the Star of Life on the side panel. They all feature dual red side lights and on ditch light, Painted all the same orange and white.

That's all I come up with.

Back