Real Life Ambulance Scene Pictures

Forgot all about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back to life Attila! This reminded me of two 35mm slides recently on eBay worth noting.
Notes in the auction simply say, "taken in 1968 when the local fire departments and rescue squads in southern Maryland had a disaster drill."
Little hard to see, but the M-M Cadillac says, "Potomac Heights Fire Department." Maybe some MD ambulances Steve Lichtman recognizes?

PS If you missed it because of my new thread reply, go back one page and see Attila's post!

$%28KGrHqJHJDoE9BE1!eYvBPhf,0rPR!~~60_57.JPG

$%28KGrHqJHJCwE91G,siePBPg0!blgCg~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Forgot all about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back to life Attila! This reminded me of two 35mm slides recently on eBay worth noting.
Notes in the auction simply say, "taken in 1968 when the local fire departments and rescue squads in southern Maryland had a disaster drill."
Little hard to see, but the M-M Cadillac says, "Potomac Heights Fire Department."

Please re-post the first photo; it appears to have been scrambled.

Here is a youtube of one of the links above.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDnD0zLIE4w&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLDA9E79A338DAB4C4[/ame]

As if...?! :D

This Dixie was also on scene when Lee Petty crashed and ended his racing career in 1961:

http://moonport.org/videos/123/1961-richard-petty-&-lee-petty-flies-off-the-track-@-daytona

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea6_1296432094

I have a black and white photo of the scene that has a good view of the Pontiac, but can't find it anywhere.

Those old races were so cool, you can actually tell the diffeence between the makes, not like todays pathetic version that everything looks identical, plus the wrecks were alot better. The ambulances were better too..

...Notes in the auction simply say, "taken in 1968 when the local fire departments and rescue squads in southern Maryland had a disaster drill."
Little hard to see, but the M-M Cadillac says, "Potomac Heights Fire Department." Maybe some MD ambulances Steve Lichtman recognizes?...
Nope, sure don't. Southern MD is not my "stomping ground", so I don't now much about the ambulances of that area. Nice pics, though!

The Pontiac ambulance that picked up President Kennedy from Air Force One was buillt by Memphis Coach. All the postings on the internet that say it was a Superior are not correct. It was built to government specifications based on a Superior.

Memphis Coach won the government contract with the help of Troy Douthitt the local Pontiac dealer. The Pontiac chassis were purchaced through Douthitt Carrol Pontiac in Memphis TN. Mr. Dowthitt financed the chassis for Memphis Coach. Pinner Coach Company also purchased our Pontiac's from Mr. Douthitt.

When it became apparent that Memphis Coach could not keep up becase the plant was too small they moved to a larger place in Memphis.

Memphis Coach was loosing money and could not pay the bills. Mr. Douthitt took over and called my dad for help in finishing the contract. We sent severel employees to help when we could spare them. I went several times to the Memphis Coach plant to deliver parts and equipment we fabricated.

I was only 20 at the time but remember it well. This like a lot of facts posted on the internet need correcting.

I was told that after the Ambulance picked up President Kennedy it was destroyed at the request of Jackie Kennedy.

Jack Pinner
Pinner Coach Company
1958-1971

Wait a second, what about all that documentation from both GM and Superior coach that Barrett showed regarding that Pontiac ambulance? NOWHERE did it say that it was anything but a Superior, that I recall anyway...

Entire magazine articles have been written about those supposed "JFK Ambulance(s)", and it seems like everything talked about those cars being Superiors and even claimed they had paperwork and documentation from Superior coach proving it, or am I remembering everything wrong?

Abe

AAA and Federal were both owned by Ray Bell of San Francisco. AAA was contracted by the County of Santa Clara to Zone 14, which included Cupertino (Now the home of Apple Computer), and unincorporated Monte Vista. AAA ambulances were painted orange (see attached photos), while Federal units were painted a deep red.

There was also a Bay Cities Ambulance which operated in a few cities of the east side of the San Francisco bay.

That orange AAA unit is a beautiful rig! Do you know if it survives?

Abe

These photos are very nice from a day gone by . The only remaining ambulance services in these photos are the LAFD , who took over full operation of the city ambulance in 1970 , when the historic Central Recieving Hospital closed it's doors , and it's ambulances were absorbed into the fire department . Schaefer still remains in operation to this day but Goodhew was absorbed into the giant EMS bureaucracy American Medical Response in the late 1990's . Snyder is another company that no longer exists , but had it's day in front of the Hollywood cameras with their ambulances being used on " Emergency ! " and "CHiPs" in it's early seasons .

If there was enough surviving material, I would love to write a comprehensive book on all the proud old ambulance services of days gone by like Schafer, Snyder, Goodhew, Shepard, etc. It would make for fascinating reading...not to mention full color eye candy!

Abe

Wait a second, what about all that documentation from both GM and Superior coach that Barrett showed regarding that Pontiac ambulance? NOWHERE did it say that it was anything but a Superior, that I recall anyway...

Entire magazine articles have been written about those supposed "JFK Ambulance(s)", and it seems like everything talked about those cars being Superiors and even claimed they had paperwork and documentation from Superior coach proving it, or am I remembering everything wrong?

Abe
PM sent explaining the situation, no need to re-discuss it....

anyone notice the pt on the litter and the gurney in backward on the CD pictures. ?

We ran a drunken snowmobile crash about five years ago, terribly horrific lower extremity fractures. My patient was an unusually tall young male, open tib/fib on the right, and femur on the left. Well, he was too tall to make application of the Hare beneficial, the poles came apart. So, we used the Keller Blake that was under the bench seat w/ all sorts of other rarely used devices. Got him all packaged up, and in the ambo....and the doors wouldn't close. :applause: Had to transport him feet first, by ground, b/c he was also too long (with the traction splint) to fit in the Stat Medevac helicopter.

the 30 is about the only one you could get away with loading the gurney backwards. they pulled it out loaded the pt on it with out checking most likly and just put it in the car. vary embarssing if you put them on a 29 andyou have a audence

Back