Vani-Shades In M-M Ambulances

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Just curious as to how common the optional Vani-Shades were in M-M ambulances vs. curtains. I have seen a few with Vani-Shades including my '74 Lifeliner. Also, does anyone know when they became an option?

'70 Volunteer

Out '70 Volunteer has them...........hardly used when I bought the unit. I slide them up and down a couple times a year just to "remind" them what they are for..........

Just curious as to how common the optional Vani-Shades were in M-M ambulances vs. curtains. I have seen a few with Vani-Shades including my '74 Lifeliner. Also, does anyone know when they became an option?

The shades were standard; curtains were optional.

Out '70 Volunteer has them...........hardly used when I bought the unit. I slide them up and down a couple times a year just to "remind" them what they are for..........

You have the Ex Ho-Ho-Kus NJ rig right? I grew up 2 towns over from Ho-Ho-Kus, they run a lot of Mutual Aid for my town Midland Park. I see their next door neighbor Waldwick had a 69 M-M volunteer at one time also.

I knew that they had them in '60 also, so I assumed they had them in '59. I don't knot that I have ever personally seen a '57 or '58 M-M ambulance close up.

The Vani-shades in my '70 Volunteer appear to never have been used. I don't think they got used often as a rule (but I wasn't riding ambulances back in those days, that's just based on the fact that I rarely see photos with them pulled up.).

Have to agree with Steve,I worked for Superior Ambulance from 72-76 who ran MM exclusively (7-9 rigs) and almost all had Vani-shades and they were NEVER used except on long distance transfers to San Francisco and such during daylight hours...mostly to keep the sun out ....and then I remember being asked "could you pull the shades UP,I am enjoying the view" :eek:

Back