Equipment options in '67 S&S ambulance

I'd like to know what some of the options in my '67 S&S Professional are for.
The following brackets are mounted to the left hand side near the roof, above the hanging stretcher brackets. There is a stainless steel trim piece mounted behind them to protect the headliner, which also has the RICO suction unit mounted to it. The front bracket also has an additional tab riveted to the bottom.

Attachments

• Rearbracketssmall.jpg
    Rearbracketssmall.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Frontrearbacksmall.jpg
    Frontrearbacksmall.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 455
Just a guess,up here in Ontario we used canvas cots that had metal bars,once extricated from a tight spot could be put on stretcher and poles removed.some where fancy with breakaway canvas secured with leather strap they were called rip cots.:myopinion::smileflagcan:

To quote the specks that my squad sent out for a 1973 might also be a hint to a possibility; "Stainless steel protection plate and positive pressure locks and hooks for a Sarole Stretcher" For those not familiar with a Sarole stretcher it was a scoop type stretcher similar to the ferno scoop. They were very popular in the late 60's in my area.

To quote the specks that my squad sent out for a 1973 might also be a hint to a possibility; "Stainless steel protection plate and positive pressure locks and hooks for a Sarole Stretcher" For those not familiar with a Sarole stretcher it was a scoop type stretcher similar to the ferno scoop. They were very popular in the late 60's in my area.

I was thinking scoop stretcher, but the brackets don't seem quite right. There's not enough clearance between the bracket and the roof for a scoop to fit while assembled, and the brackets are also too deep to hold the scoop securely.

Is this a Sarole on the left below? It came in an auction lot of municipal surplus, with two Ferno scoop stretchers that date to the early '70s. It has no tag anywhere, just a four digit number stamped onto the four pieces that make it up. I've always wondered who made it, and it's vintage.

Attachments

• scoopstretcherssmall.jpg
    scoopstretcherssmall.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 451
That is not a Sarole, the Sarole is made up of two wooden pieces that were held together with metal brackets that would slide over their ends. I will try to get a picture to post tomorrow.

Next up for your consideration -

These brackets are mounted to the back of the front seat. Could they be for the jack and lug wrench? That seems like a lot of weight to hang from the seat back.

Attachments

• Seatback1a.jpg
    Seatback1a.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 323
  • Seatback2a.jpg
    Seatback2a.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 332
What were these cups for in the rear floor? They don't seem to be for a cot, they're inline with the car, basically on the center line, near the medical compartment. (to the right of the floor compartment in photo)

Attachments

• cupssmall.jpg
    cupssmall.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 250
Crash tools storage

From the 67/68 S&S brochure. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• rsz_001 (1).jpg
    rsz_001 (1).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 292
Bill - Thank you - That helps immensely. Once you see the photo, it all falls into place. Guess I better raid the workshop for a saw, crowbar and ax. It's great to see how everything left the factory. I must say, the pic on the right, from the brochure, shows an awful lot of feet!

Jacob - Check out this photo of this 1967 S&S-Cadillac from Halesite FD, photo shared by This Old Ambulance on Facebook from the department's own page.

Looks like maybe the discussed Sarole Scoop Stretcher? A Robinson could fit, and as we've discussed - Reeves and "Army Litters" have been pictured there too.

Attachments

• 1967 Halesite FD S&S Ambulance.jpg
    1967 Halesite FD S&S Ambulance.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 116
Back