1975 Ambulance - Craig CO

1975 Ambulance - $10000 (Craig CO)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5855429504.html

Many more pics on listing

This vehicle is located in Craig CO. 1975 Pontiac Bonneville Ambulance. 455 cubic inch/200 HP 4bbl V8. Everything works from the lights to the horn to the sirens. We are a 501 c3 and this car was generously donated by the Memorial Hospital of Craig, CO. We are selling it to generate operating revenue for the Wyman Living History Museum in Craig, CO. We are looking to get $10,000 OBO.

11/5/16 post id: 5855429504 posted: 5 days ago

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 617
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 609
The first 1976 models were probably rolling down the assembly line in Lima when this one was finished. Built in October, 1975, this must have been one of the very last of a long line of Superior-Pontiacs. As you will all remember, Superior dropped the Pontiac range at the end of the 1975 model year.

$5-6,000 in its current condition. Lots of mud around the rear wheel wells, but looks very solid otherwise. I like the black interior. It gives you a lot of options for an exterior color scheme.

Moffat County Memorial Hospital

Coincidently....the 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance we restored 15+ years ago (that PCS Members Hewy & Ruth Wick now own) came from the same 28-Bed Moffat County Memorial Hospital in Craig, Co. It also had very low original miles and never had fender skirts from new..... apparently from having to run snow chains at lot. It's "running mate" at the time was a 1957 Miller-Meteor Cadillac and (both) were painted a "Mary-K" Pink with a white top. When I was doing research on it with the local fire-police departments I asked why?.... they said that "they could be seen better in the snow".

I bought our's for $500.00 from a Farmer who had bought it at a local county surplus equipment auction in Craig circa 1975. When I asked him about it.... he said that he was the only bidder at $500.00 and thought if nothing else he could store chickens in at at his ranch.....THANKFULLY that never happen. When we sent a roll-back to pick it up for it's ride back to Southern CA the keys were still in the ignition from when he brought it home that day with 63,XXX miles on the odometer. It also had partially filled books of S&H and Blue Chip Stamps in the glove compartment from when they had to buy gas on runs outside of Craig and some blank run cards that showed a $25.00 base charge + mileage and something extra (that I don't recall the amount right now) for red lights-siren and oxygen.

I never saw it (in person) before buying it..... only had a picture from the (CO) PCS Member.....who was in to "goth things" and hosted the Denver PCS Meet years ago... can't think of his name right now). When I asked the 85+ year old Farmer what he wanted for it? His reply was "not one XXX XXXX penny less than I paid for it"..... that was $500.00. I fed-ex'd him a cashier's check that day for $500.00 and he gave the title with the tow truck driver who picked it up and hauled it back to CA....... and that's the way deals should be made! MM

Deals are still made that way out here. The Low milage rigs will expire be in the country. You guys in the city are the ones racking up the miles.

Zach helm

Coincidently....the 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance we restored 15+ years ago (that PCS Members Hewy & Ruth Wick now own) came from the same 28-Bed Moffat County Memorial Hospital in Craig, Co. It also had very low original miles and never had fender skirts from new..... apparently from having to run snow chains at lot. It's "running mate" at the time was a 1957 Miller-Meteor Cadillac and (both) were painted a "Mary-K" Pink with a white top. When I was doing research on it with the local fire-police departments I asked why?.... they said that "they could be seen better in the snow".

I bought our's for $500.00 from a Farmer who had bought it at a local county surplus equipment auction in Craig circa 1975. When I asked him about it.... he said that he was the only bidder at $500.00 and thought if nothing else he could store chickens in at at his ranch.....THANKFULLY that never happen. When we sent a roll-back to pick it up for it's ride back to Southern CA the keys were still in the ignition from when he brought it home that day with 63,XXX miles on the odometer. It also had partially filled books of S&H and Blue Chip Stamps in the glove compartment from when they had to buy gas on runs outside of Craig and some blank run cards that showed a $25.00 base charge + mileage and something extra (that I don't recall the amount right now) for red lights-siren and oxygen.

I never saw it (in person) before buying it..... only had a picture from the (CO) PCS Member.....who was in to "goth things" and hosted the Denver PCS Meet years ago... can't think of his name right now). When I asked the 85+ year old Farmer what he wanted for it? His reply was "not one XXX XXXX penny less than I paid for it"..... that was $500.00. I fed-ex'd him a cashier's check that day for $500.00 and he gave the title with the tow truck driver who picked it up and hauled it back to CA....... and that's the way deals should be made! MM
ZACK HELM was the PCS Member from Colorado who gave me the lead on the '56 Cadillac I bought from the Farmer. MM

Exempt plates

Now at $6000! They must have read my response to their original listing. Now worth the asking price.

Ed???????

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5856176784.html

It's a little hard to make out, but it looks like it still has it's <EXEMPT> Colorado Plates on it as did our '56 Cadillac. The radio head on the dash looks like an RCA from the era.... and although I don't readily see an antenna, their radio system in the 70's was LOW-BAND. Our Cadillac was auctioned off by Moffat County Memorial Hospital in 1975, probably replaced by this very unit? MM

Probably should huh?? Too bad the same Farmer didn't have shot at it.

The "rest of my story" is..... after we restored the '56 Meteor-Cadillac, I had Fire Apparatus Journal Photographer Chuck Madderom take a professional picture of it.... bought a nice frame and sent it to the Farmer who by then was in an assisted care facility. About two weeks later I received a (barely legible) hand written note from him thanking me for the picture and saying that "he made the right decision selling it to me for 500 bucks".....his words. MM

Mike,
I am assuming that this one might be in slightly better shape that the '56 was in by the time you got it??

I love the black interior in this one! The interior looks to be in good shape and a black interior allows you to do anything you want in the way of exterior color combos.

This may be the last Superior Pontiac ambulance ever built!!??

Mike,
I am assuming that this one might be in slightly better shape that the '56 was in by the time you got it??

I love the black interior in this one! The interior looks to be in good shape and a black interior allows you to do anything you want in the way of exterior color combos.

This may be the last Superior Pontiac ambulance ever built!!??

Kurt: Our '56 had been driven from the county auction site, then parked under an oak tree for over 25 years. From Zack Herlm's picture, all the tires were dry rotted and two were flat. The tow truck aired those two up enough to get it winched on his roll-back. After it arrived at our yard in Valley Center, we made sure it had water and oil in it, then put some gas in the carb, jumped it and it started right up, before removing the tank and carb and going thru everything else that took about 6 months including new paint and chrome. MM

Kurt: Our '56 had been driven from the county auction site, then parked under an oak tree for over 25 years. From Zack Herlm's picture, all the tires were dry rotted and two were flat. The tow truck aired those two up enough to get it winched on his roll-back. After it arrived at our yard in Valley Center, we made sure it had water and oil in it, then put some gas in the carb, jumped it and it started right up, before removing the tank and carb and going thru everything else that took about 6 months including new paint and chrome. MM

You've peaked my interest. Any chance you can post pictures of that 56 before restoration as it was under that tree?

Fortunately, there are few places in this country where you could park a car under a tree for 25+ years and have it as well preserved as one would be in Colorado! Probably the ideal climate for it overall.

Have you spoken with the individual that is selling the Pontiac for the non-profit yet Mike???????????

Back