How dfficult to add this A/C system

I think this is a complete kit but just how difficult would it be to install this in my Lifeliner. My A/C has been an issue since the beginning and don't care about original condition just want cool air. My biggest concern would be the bracket for the compressor but confident my mechanic could fabricate one. This seems to be the biggest one I can find.

Has anyone ever installed something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262364298949?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

• Ac.jpg
    Ac.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 832
My 56 Packard Caribbean has the add on modern air like this it works well. In the case of the Packard added was an alternator to replace the generator this was a plus and it uses 134. With your lifeliner its only going to do the front compartment I assume thats all you want. I would guess the Cadillac has the BIG alternator. I don't think the AC kit sellers factor that in. My suggestion would be email them and see if the have an adapter that will allow the installation of the modern smaller compressor in your existing compressor bracket.This would make the job easy and easily reversed for a purest later. The other thought I have is disconnect the rear AC and just have the front hooked up new O rings etc then it should be OK unless you have mode issues with the "Climate Control". You can easily eliminate the "Climate Control" and make the system manual requires some rewiring and proping doors in the proper position.

or as Peter said fairly simple to put on. as it designed to replace all that you have. a reasonable smart man with normal hand tools should be able to put it on in a good day. me it will take at least two maybe three. but if you go with a kit from Old time air as we discussed the last time they can supply you with either the direct replacement compressor or one that will bolt into were you factory one is. the add on units are OK for what you are doing but if you go with one of the replacement heater /AC kits you can plumb it into your factory duct work and have heat and defrost also.

What is wrong with using your old compressor, or buying a new rebuilt one to convert to R134? I doubt that the weight difference is going to be an issue for a light weight compressor. Making the bracket is the easy part. Making it so it work with the rest of the engine belt alignment is the difficult part.

Another question: Will this unit draw air circulating directly from the cab or will it require an outside air vent? Appears to be just inside air.

Much appreciated guys, thanks. This kit seems to be the biggest and the cheapest, oops least expensive, kit I've found and it complete.

thanks

These don't draw any outside air just recirculate. Just like your old underdash units of the 60s. One of the reasons they cool so well is the recirculation. RE Pauls comment on using an original comprerssor some checking needs to be done. I heard a rumor That they fail when used with 134 due to 134 not lubercating as well. Let me stress this is a rumor unproven at this time but some checking needed.

Another question: Will this unit draw air circulating directly from the cab or will it require an outside air vent? Appears to be just inside air.

Much appreciated guys, thanks. This kit seems to be the biggest and the cheapest, oops least expensive, kit I've found and it complete.

thanks

remember a few hundred dollars spent up front can make a lot of difference down the road. but yes with our system being shot shy of a parts car to swap everthig from one to the other one of the hanging unites is the cheapest way to go

These don't draw any outside air just recirculate. Just like your old underdash units of the 60s. One of the reasons they cool so well is the recirculation. RE Pauls comment on using an original comprerssor some checking needs to be done. I heard a rumor That they fail when used with 134 due to 134 not lubercating as well. Let me stress this is a rumor unproven at this time but some checking needed.

My unit was changed from R-12 to 134.a years ago and of course never cooled right. The wiring and vacuum tubes which operate everything are simply rodent chewed on under the dash. Currently leaks Freon getting only a couple weeks before needing another charge. Even when charged it does not cool that well and something I have to deal with when Terri is with me always complaining. I reached out to this company which happens to be in the Tampa area to get their thoughts as well. Good advice to do a little research before doing anything. This picture contradicts the phrase, "Happy wife Happy life". Not happening here for sure.

Attachments

• user16_pic152_1251903396.jpg
    user16_pic152_1251903396.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 677
I would opt for having your Old OEM System (properly) re-hab'd....can't be that much $$$ and in Florida there should be all kinds of qualified A/C outfits as there are here in CA. I seriously doubt if the after market under dash system you have shown would ever adequately cool the entire ambulance. MM

You will probably need a new compressor, along with new hoses to hook up an under dash unit. The original condenser and receiver drier will also have to be replaced, and you should use OEM replacement units, so you will get maximum refrigerant cooling with the larger units. The problems with most aftermarket units that are packaged, they are not intended for the amount of cubic footage that you Cadillac has up front, and the heat gain of the larger windshield. What you want can be done, however, it will cost about the same as if you were to completely rehab your factory unit. You should find an experienced AC technician no matter what direction that you go. Having your mechanic do this is not going to work well. Remember what happened that you had a low cost mechanic work on the unit. He didn't understand the unit, and as a result, bypassed all the safety switches that the factory installed, and as a result, blew the unit up. How much did it cost to fix his mistakes, just to get to the point where it is now?
A new / rebuilt A6 compressor with the new correct oil will work on a R12 system, if you charge it 80% of the original R12 amount.

I see you have never worked on a automatic climate system in a old Caddy. it has a lot of electric over vacuum and vacuum over electric controls to move the doors which all have rubber seals to shut off or mix the set temperature. and vary few people around that will rebuild the electrical components. most of vacuum controls are few and far between NOS stuff or used. with them having 3 different types of systems between 63 and 76. systems that do not share the same components. you can rebuild the system but it can be a expensive proposition. all the factory one does is cool the front the rear has a separate unit to cool it.

still if it was me in that boat I would call these people http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/?ibp-adgroup=ppc&gclid=COu2mpPVjMECFedzMgodCzgA_w

tell them what you are looking for they can set you up with a compressor that will fit into your brackets and a heating and cooling system that will go in your car. tucked out of the way that will operate threw you current ac duct work. defroster ducts also. then all the man that puts it in will have to do is remove your existing system putting the compressor and condenser in place designed for your car and a small amount of playing around to get the duct work hooked up and the hole in your fire wall covered. what you spend on the kitt will save labor putting it in. it is a reticulation type system with only the controls hanging under the dash.

I see you have never worked on a automatic climate system in a old Caddy...

I have worked on more of them than I care to remember. With the correct tools, they are not as bad as you might think.

Attachments

• MVC-007L.JPG
    MVC-007L.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 219
  • MVC-008L.JPG
    MVC-008L.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 219
  • MVC-009L.JPG
    MVC-009L.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 218
I see you have never worked on a automatic climate system in a old Caddy. it has a lot of electric over vacuum and vacuum over electric controls to move the doors which all have rubber seals to shut off or mix the set temperature. and vary few people around that will rebuild the electrical components. most of vacuum controls are few and far between NOS stuff or used. with them having 3 different types of systems between 63 and 76. systems that do not share the same components. you can rebuild the system but it can be a expensive proposition. all the factory one does is cool the front the rear has a separate unit to cool it.

still if it was me in that boat I would call these people http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/?ibp-adgroup=ppc&gclid=COu2mpPVjMECFedzMgodCzgA_w

tell them what you are looking for they can set you up with a compressor that will fit into your brackets and a heating and cooling system that will go in your car. tucked out of the way that will operate threw you current ac duct work. defroster ducts also. then all the man that puts it in will have to do is remove your existing system putting the compressor and condenser in place designed for your car and a small amount of playing around to get the duct work hooked up and the hole in your fire wall covered. what you spend on the kitt will save labor putting it in. it is a reticulation type system with only the controls hanging under the dash.

Yeah Ed did that. A complete system installed in the dash with heat, defrost, and cooling was almost $4,000-too rich for me. They remove all the old stuff and install a complete system under the dash. I think Danny Ryder had a hearse where they did that.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

So your telling me that someone down there wants 3 grand to remove your old system and reinstall a custom built one for your car? But they would charge less to make the modifications to a doesn't fit any thing universal system? Old time air sells one of the hanging units with the designed for your application compressor and condensr also. It comes with a decent instruction sheet. R and R the components your self then have some one charge the system.you can do it in the driveway if it takes you a couple days who cares. its still new and will hold the charge. Bring the car up we'll do while we visit.

Yeah Ed did that. A complete system installed in the dash with heat, defrost, and cooling was almost $4,000-too rich for me. They remove all the old stuff and install a complete system under the dash. I think Danny Ryder had a hearse where they did that.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

I don't know who you're dealing with, but the industry leader is Classic Air and is 15 minutes from you in Tampa, FL. http://www.classicautoair.com/

As they say, buy once - cry once. These folks will be who I will have take care of my Cotington when it comes to that...

I'm happy to report I did purchase a 23000 BTU A/C system for the Lifeliner. Turns out the compressor mounts are exactly what the old system is only issue is fabricating a mount for the rear of the compressor since the new one is much shorter. Comes with twin radiator fans as well. Does not appear to be a hard install and anxious to get it going. It's designed for heavy duty truck so should give me plenty of relief.

Attachments

• ac3.jpg
    ac3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 204
  • ac4.jpg
    ac4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 198
  • ac2.jpg
    ac2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 204
  • ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 198
If heating issues are not a problem keep the fans in the garage. From the looks of things I don't see the condenser or received drier. White box?? If they were not in the kit be sure to test the condenser, replace the expansion valve and the O rings in every fitting. . The haing unit will easily cool the cab. That is what most of the ambulances used in back

Back