re do that bumper

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
OK you have walked past the old car with that new shiny paint adn that old bumper reaches out and grabes you every time. it's summer you want to play not tire the car up on a replating job right now. so what do we do. will I got tired of looking at the one on the 73 today. here is what i did and the way i did it. http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747#date/2009-05-05/14:46:59

Attachments

• before and after..jpg
    before and after..jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 201
What did you do to that poor little dog? Looks like he got a bit wet too! Bumper looks good Ed but would look much better on my Lifeliner, right?

Richard

175028.jpg

no neither one will work. both are hearse bumpers. you need a ambulance one. the hearse are longer and have the end for the licence plate light in them. I do know were there is a perfect bumper for your car but you would have to give 5000 for it. the man will not part out the car. but if you want it. you pay for it, I'll take it off for you and send it to you. I'll keep the car you send me your old one back. anything for a friend. here is a pictures of a rusted out 75 ambulance center section. compare it with the hearse one you'll see the difference. the other shot is a vary nice ambulance on on a 72 MM lifeliner sitting in a yard. or sale for to me for 5000. the car has no interior and one side glass broken.

Attachments

• b_142615.jpg
    b_142615.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 1972 MM 54 in.jpg
    1972 MM 54 in.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 136
I know if I got a bumper my rear step would have to be cut out and reinstalled but, the bumper itself should be ok. I just need one with the small backup lights.
My body guy says he can probably take mine off and weld in new pieces, grind it down then turn over to the chrome shop. Hate to go that route but looking more and more like that is the direction I'm headed.

Richard

PS: Any chance that 75 ambulance bumper is still there? I even like it's color.

Dumb question, but are bumpers coachbuilder-specific, or fo they come that way with the commercial chassis? I wonder if anything is left worth using on the remains of the '75 Superiors at All American Classics Vancouver, WA)

Ambulance Bumpers

Each coachbuilder incorporated their own variation of the rear step on the ambulance bumpers. For example, Miller-Meteor used the step shown in Ed's photo above, while Superior tended to use a wider step mounted to the underside of the bumper.

If we were to compare the rear bumpers of Ron Devies's 1975 Superior 54 and my 1975 Lifeliner, the steps would be different.

Disclaimer: Notice I was careful to clearly state we are talking about bumpers here and did not say "if we were to compare Ron's rear end with my rear end... :rolleyes:

the rear steps were different in the same cars in the same years also. some have the same bumper as the hearse and the larger platform that bolts on to the frame. we take a lot of pictures of the different cars but only the front end. one interesting thing is there is never a step on a combo and most of the low top ambulances. only the high top. like that made a difference in getting in :rolleyes:

Back