rich or luckly

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
paying out the noise for some one to chase down a electrical problem or dumb luck. way better to have some dumb luck. this 96 did not have any interior lights working when it came up from other things in the paper work it looks like it's been some tine since they worked. the hole for the fuse was empty. the ohm meter showed a short. the first fuse I put in looked like a flash light and went out with a bang. the second one stayed till I rotated the knob on the light switch the it went pow. no replacing the light switch did not cure it.

with 6 light over head 6one in each door 2 in the rear view mirror and the home link on that one fuse plus the relay, were to start. I was sitting in the drivers seat so start there go back to Acubuilds splice. we got lucky the second thing with screws I took off has the standard screw threw the insulation problem. no luck like dumb luck.
we unplugged the visor and robed a fuse out of the avalanche and we got lights. the home link even works. a little shrink wrap and a shorter screw and we are good to go. the lesson is do the simple checks first. that's usually the problem

Attachments

• IMG_9345.jpg
    IMG_9345.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_9346.jpg
    IMG_9346.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_9349.jpg
    IMG_9349.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_9351.jpg
    IMG_9351.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 207
Had a similar problem with my '82 Harley. No rhyme or reason it would shut down and lose all lights long enough to notice it, just a matter of seconds then back on again.

I tried about everything, replaced a couple of questionable components for no change. Had a couple of the techs at the Harley dealership I worked at part time and they were stumped too.

So one summer night I'm heading home from a late night ride. I'm about fifteen miles from home, 1:30 A.M. when I hit a bump in the road. Bike dead, this time good and dead. So on the shoulder I start to check from the battery out with limited tools, a knife was all I had on me. No longer had a truck so I could not call my wife to come and get me.

Battery terminals were tight. A few inches down the positive battery wire was a crimp terminal. I swear to this day I had checked that previously but when I moved it I saw a blue flash inside of it and the lights came on. Moved it again, out they went. A real "AHA" moment.

Moved it again, lights on. Hit the starter switch, success. Home, cut and SOLDER and heat shrink that joint. Problem solved. Was I gloating the next day at work.

the dumb luck was on the second idem I pulled. I could have just as easily keep going around to the lights over the doors then in the doors. now I will admit this was my 4th stab at it. 2 were just fuse replacements one was the wiring for the home link the other replacing the headlight switch.

but there is nothing dogger then a caddy when the stuff don't work

Any emergency vehicle with an electrical problem is an adventure especially subsequent to being "repaired" by several different shops over it's career.

Best one was a fire truck. Original fuse panel was bypassed with inline fuses. And the best part, a little drum roll first please, was the two small beacon lights at the rear wired with household electrical cord. Yes, brown electrical cord and wire nuts.

Back