Oil Change Question

Have heard mentioned before but didn't keep up with it I guess but something about regular oil not having all ingredients needed for older cars. Getting ready to change oil in my 70 caddy although not been a lot of miles has been about five years. What should I put back in it?

Me I use the 15-40 fleet service oil. Easy enough to get and it has all the stuff. It's all I use in my fleet.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtP4RzXuvsI[/ame] ( 7 months ago )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EeiC8dkIgQ[/ame]

Published on Jun 4, 2013
this is what happens when you do not run zinc in your oil. if you have a flat tappet cam, run a zinc additive or an oil with a higher concentration of zinc in it. something around 1200 parts per million is required and standard oil runs only about 900 parts per million today.

Now you see why I use the fleet service oil. it has all the necessary things in it to handle everything from a 1930 to a 2015

I did the test one time in the dead of winter. set a quart of 15-40 and one of 10-30 out the door together. it dipped to ten below F that night. the next day the only one that would come out of the bottle was the 15-40. that was in about 1989, I have not used anything but that in any car I have gotten since. the new one get there "fee" one at the dealer but the rest get the quick lube and 15-40 fleet. hemmings has one they sell, shell has one, Texaco has one, you can get it in most parts stores in there store brand and wally world also. what you got your going to be putting it in that doesn't have wear? you will carry about 5-10 lb higher oil presser with it. but you will never have to remember what you got in what car again. it's fleet oil destined to be bought by fleet operators in bulk. in there mixed fleets. it has all the stuff for all engines in it. but it has some drag as it is heaver might cost you 1/2 mile less in a tank of gas.

Danny, when I heard about this lack of zinc in new oil a few years ago I looked into ZDDP (zinc) additives vs. "classic car" motor oils w/ the appropriate amount of zinc. Price worked out about the same and since I already had a good stock of motor oil I got a case of ZDDPlus (cheaper by the case). Looks like there are a few more zinc additives on the market now. I used the Lucas stuff once doing an oil change at home vs. at my barn where the ZDDP is and it's the most expensive of the zinc solutions.

I appreciate the fine information of the previous posts. Every year, I change the oil and filter of all my collector cars and use Shell Rotella-T 15-40.

I appreciate the fine information of the previous posts. Every year, I change the oil and filter of all my collector cars and use Shell Rotella-T 15-40.

I suggest that you read the owners manual or the service manual of your car, and then read the first 10 pages of this technical paper. Then decide if your choice of engine oil viscosity is helping or harming your engine.

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf ( 33 pages of technical information )

Fleet service was developed for fleet use. me, a firmly believe in the kiss principle. If you can buy one product that will work get it. If you can find one that will work with everything you own get that one and forget the rest. Read the owners manual all you want when they wrote it, they were still putting all the additives in the oil and lead in the gasoline.
Me I can't get around the pour test I conducted. I currently have the 15-40 in
a 53 pon, 60 willies, 72 olsmobile, 86 cadallic and a 92 geo and have had since I have acquired them. You don't think it's a good ida don't do it.

But me, I'll have it in the next one I get also. I have been using this oil in everything since about 1990. in that time I have only had one engine failure. That one was because a man replaced an oil pump on a old suburban I have what someone had put a 427 in. He forgot to tighten the clamp for the distuberator. My wife when to use the car the next day and it jumped up enough to pull out of the oil pump but keep running. It had gages and she never noticed that there was no oil pressure. It got hot enough to blue the crank, but it never sezed or stoped running. So I'm happy with my choice.

anything with flat tappets needs the additive. the big change came when they went to roller lifters in the new stuff some were around 2005. that fact that you are asking this question is why I only use the fleet service oil in everything. it has all the additives in it I don't have to question what needs what and do I need to add or not. use a good quality fleet service oil in the 15-40 line. most of the store brands that sell it in bulk under there own label are the rotella. texaco makes a good one also. don't wounder if it's to thick or not or if the owners manual says you can use it. I put it in everything from my lawn mower to my air compressor. I have yet to have any trouble with oil related problems in anything. been doing it since about 1985. got it in the 86 limo the 72 CB. running it in my 53 pontiac and my 60 jeep my 2014 lawn mower and the compressor I got from Harbor fright. this is the same stuff that they offer in Hemmings Motor news. recommended by them for all old cars.

I just use Havoline off the shelf, Ive never put any additives in anything, no matter the year. Done it since started driving. So far never any oil related issues

Back