6 Volt Flasher

Anyone have a source for a 6 volt alternating (wig-wag) flasher unit? I need two - one for my soon-to-be-done Henney Junior, and one for my done-but-flashers-aren't-working Ambulet.

Thanks!

The term "flasher" conjures up many different images in my mind. :rolleyes: Could you please be more specific as to the type of flasher that you are looking for? If you are looking for a basic 3 terminal plug in flasher, of the type that was used in the directional signaling system, they are still available from some classic car suppliers. You will need to know the number of bulbs and the total amperage draw to order the proper flasher. If you are looking for the mechanical type of flasher that is motor driven, I can't help, except to say that they were made by Cole-Hersee, Boston MA, and that they are now obsolete in 6 volt. Are you certain the the Ambulet is a 6 volt car?

wig wag flasher

here is a thought-find a salvage yard that uses old school busses as storage and it's entirely possible one might find one still on the vehicle. the flasher used there would be the type you describe. Paul is correct about Cole Hersee making such. The part number on the 12 v was 3034, I don't know enough about electrical systems to know if 6v would run the lights temporarily. Maybe an auto electric shop could wire the 12 volt model to work with a 6 v system. C/H also shows a repair kit which includes all parts for fixing the switch portion of the unit. I can check around here if you decide to try the old bus route and see what some of the yards might have.

Going on what Jay said, you can also get voltage reducers fairly cheap at any parts store. My 49 S&S has been converted to 12 volt, but the three heaters are still 6 volt, just ran through a reducer.

The term "flasher" conjures up many different images in my mind. :rolleyes:
Of course it does. All but one or two of them is non-auto related!

If you are looking for the mechanical type of flasher that is motor driven, I can't help, except to say that they were made by Cole-Hersee, Boston MA, and that they are now obsolete in 6 volt.
Yes, that's what I need.

Are you certain the the Ambulet is a 6 volt car?
Yes, both the Ambulet and the Henney Packard are 6 volt, without a doubt.

here is a thought-find a salvage yard that uses old school busses as storage and it's entirely possible one might find one still on the vehicle. the flasher used there would be the type you describe...
None around here, anyone know one?

Going on what Jay said, you can also get voltage reducers fairly cheap at any parts store. My 49 S&S has been converted to 12 volt, but the three heaters are still 6 volt, just ran through a reducer.
Yea, that's the opposite of what I'd need. That would run something that runs on 6v on a 12v system. My cars are 6v now.

Yea, that's the opposite of what I'd need. That would run something that runs on 6v on a 12v system. My cars are 6v now.

My bad, Im not used to thinking 6 volt, only reducing 12 to 6, had my head you know where for a minute:eek:
Im friends with alot of rat rodders, I will see if they have any sources.

Headlight Flashers

Steve:

A "purist" like you (and me) putting headlight flashers on a year model car years before they were invented or first used circa 1970's? Like another poster said, the only old application would have been a motorized 6 volt alternating red light flasher used on a pre mid-1950's school bus. Good Luck! MM

Back