Washing the engine compartment.....

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Today, I decided to drive into town with the Chrysler and clean the engine. When I got there, I found that they have improved the service by accepting credit cards in the self service wash stalls. I opened the hood, and removed the air cleaner, and stuffed the carburetor with rags so no water would get into it. I then used a large piece of aluminum foil to cover the distributor. This was a tip that I learned from Dan Scully. Once all was protected, I sprayed the engine and engine bay with a engine cleaner from Advance Auto Parts. Allowed it to work its magic on the grease for about ten minute, and then proceeded to use the car was power washer. I started with the engine wash chemicals that are dispensed with the power washer wand. Once I thought that the engine was clean enough, I switched to the rinse cycle. After rinsing, I found a few spots that I had missed, so I put my card back into the slot, and washed some more. Total cost was just under $15, and I didn't have to worry about the grease and grime residue at home.
Next, I will be doing the rest of the engine detailing. Problem is that every time I clean and paint one item, it makes the rest of the engine bay look badly. I am trying to only clean and detail that which is in poor condition, and will continue to deteriorate if left alone. Where does it all end???????

Attachments

• MVC-006L.jpg
    MVC-006L.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 127
  • MVC-007L.jpg
    MVC-007L.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 125
  • MVC-008L.jpg
    MVC-008L.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 124
  • MVC-010L.jpg
    MVC-010L.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 131
where does it end

It doesn't. But I think you already knew that. Really progressive car wash. An engine cleaning cycle and credit cards. It must be true that Ohio has some catching up to do when compared to the rest of the world. We still have some car wash do it yourself places that have signs...No engine cleaning. They don't want the greasy runoff going into their sewers they say.
Mike

There is one in town, and they don't have any signs, however, I know that they don't have any way to catch the wash water that runs into the parking lot. I didn't want to get started cleaning the engine there, only to be stopped in the middle. The car just turned 20,000 miles today, so you might say that this is a anniversary cleaning. From the information that I have learned, it was put into service on Memorial Day Weekend in 1963, so this is a second anniversary type of cleaning. Probably the first time in its 46 years that the engine has been cleaned. What I do find remarkable, is that most of the original paint is still on the engine as well as some manufacturing mark from the assembly line..

I'm Lazy...My fav Car Wash does the whole thing, Interior Shampoo, Hand wax and Engine detail for $69.95. :D

Gotta keep them South-of-The border Folks busy.

My yard man keeps both the front and back clean...better than I ever did...for $50.00 a Month. My Pool man does it all for $90.00.

Now if I could find a little Senorita in a little Maids outfit to come by while the Wifees at work I'd REALLY be happy.:eek:

more like nice to see some people with that much energy. but then I know what you mean Paul. were does it end. I was pleasantly surprised that when I got the ambulance back together it started. that for me was a +. but you send me out your credit card we'll see if the car wash out here can use it.:D they really do have a lot of presser. I have used them to strip one of the pealers off in. worked well for that.

Back