Vintage Ambulance On CBS Sunday Morning

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
Does anybody watch Sunday Morning on CBS? Lucille and I watch it every Sunday, almost. Today they ran a segment on the 40TH Anniversary of the Three Mile Island nuclear disaster in Harrisburg, Pa, back in 1979. While showing some footage of events as they unfolded, appeared this ambulance as it was seen "in service" back in 1979. It is a stunning white over brilliant blue S&S Cadillac.

Attachments

• P1160363.jpg
    P1160363.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 316
Sorry for the poor quality of the image. I am thinking that this 1970 S&S Cadillac ambulance probably belonged to a squad from the Harrisburg area, does anybody know this ambulance, or what became of it? Who knows, it was probably contaminated by radiation.

"Who knows, it was probably contaminated by radiation." According to the NRC and studies by Columbia University and the University of Pittsburgh, "concluded that in spite of serious damage to the reactor, the actual release had negligible effects on the physical health of individuals or the environment." Too many people get their news on these Sunday morning Liberal misinformation shows by the "Global Warming" community without doing their own homework.

Here is a link to the video from this morning, the ambulance which is a '69 S&S Kensington comes in just after 40 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-ir_TjSx0

Given that 3 Mile Island is in Middletown, PA it's probably safe to say that belonged to the fire company in Middletown and if that is the case, that ambulance does in fact still exist.

"Who knows, it was probably contaminated by radiation." According to the NRC and studies by Columbia University and the University of Pittsburgh, "concluded that in spite of serious damage to the reactor, the actual release had negligible effects on the physical health of individuals or the environment." Too many people get their news on these Sunday morning Liberal misinformation shows by the "Global Warming" community without doing their own homework.

Ken, I was just being funny. No offense, but are you sure of everything you said?

Bill, sorry I didn't pick up on your humor. I got the information from the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission's publication entitled "NRC: Backgrounder On the Three Mile Island Accident" available on the web. No offense taken my friend.

She's from the Liberty Fire Co. No. 1 in Middletown, PA:

Attachments

• 12998460_10153611785591375_6113178446977872865_n.jpg
    12998460_10153611785591375_6113178446977872865_n.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 229
No Cadillac should be photographed with the skirts off. I know that that is how many ambulance companies ran them, year-round, especially in the north. It can be the nicest Cadillac in existance, but they all look like pieces of $#!+ with the skirts off. It's even worse when they have black wall snow tires on them.

No Cadillac should be photographed with the skirts off. I know that that is how many ambulance companies ran them, year-round, especially in the north. It can be the nicest Cadillac in existance, but they all look like pieces of $#!+ with the skirts off. It's even worse when they have black wall snow tires on them.

I agree with you one hundred per cent Kurt!

I like that 1970 Superior-Pontiac hightop ambulance in the footage. Does Mr Loftin have any other pictures, or info on it?

Here is a photo of a '70 Superior hi top ambulance for you Bill.

Attachments

• '70 Pontiac.jpg
    '70 Pontiac.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 158
The presence of so many S&S shows how strong the Spitler S&S dealer in up state Pennsylvania was second only to Wolfingtons Superior near Philadelphia.

It looks like all the pro-car ambulances are S&S, other than the one C+B Olds nearest the photographer. Although there's one pro-car at the end of the line I can't tell what kind it is since all that shows is the top, and the open tailgate.

Next to the box ambulance looks to be a 69 or 70 M-M and the last 2 a 74 S&S and 70 pontiac superior. You can see them in the video.

With all the S&S ambulances too bad so few of them survived.

You will be happy to know that the previous owner bought it some skirts. They don't match and are currently off due to the extremely long restoration it is going through. The black walls are still there though...

Back