Mortuary cot repair

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
Any one have experience with repair and rebuild of mortuary cots. The Funeral Chapel that I work for has an old Ferno one man cot that needs work. If this post is in the wrong forum please move it. Thanks.

Which model is it? we had a similar problem with our old one, the rail "rounded" and every time we had a 180+ pounds person the legs stucked

The cot is still functional Ed, it just seems like all of the rails have loosened up over the years.

Not a lot one can do there. If the pins and holes are showing said. To fill over sized holes and replace the pins with larger ones would be quite a task.

I have used EMSAR 3 times over the years, my understanding is that they provide Ferno-Washington warranty service. Cot repair can be a bit pricey, but I have had good results from EMSAR.

I suggest EMSAR as well. They repair ambulance cots, have certified repair personnel, appropriate parts, etc.

(My new boss at work, who has very limited EMS experience, asked me if I did ambulance cot repair or knew someone who did. He needs some cots repaired. I recommended EMSAR, but he said they were too expensive. Uggh, you get what you pay for. Particularly, if I repair the cot and then it fails with a patient, who are they going to sue? At least, with EMSAR, they are the "nationally recognized" cot repair company, and are considered the experts. And they have insurance. Anyway, I told the boss I would not do it.)

http://www.cotdoc.com/ is another option I learned of recently. Each EMSAR is locally operated. Unfortunately - my personal experience was less awesome. I just needed the scuff blocks kit for a Model 26, a standard F-W item multiple cots use even today, and supposedly an EMSAR stocked part. It took about a year, multiple emails, and finally complaining to F-W (asked if I could work with someone else) before I finally was able to get my part from the local shop... At one point about six months into it - they got the part in for me and then used it on another customers cot without bothering to call me or order another. Real lousy customer service. I hope my experience was not the norm, and maybe they've gotten better at the San Antonio location since 2014-2015 when this took place.

I take it they will not sell direct anymore? Back when we needed new stuff pads for our 29 we could order direct from ferno. There are a couple people selling parts off eBay also. There discription calls the a authorised ferno dealer so that may be another place to source parts.

Back