Period Correct in 1987

just sent in my money in to join PCS this week. I'm new to the Professional Car world, But I do have a question... In 1987 in Canada did the Funeral Homes use fender flags ( funeral flags ) or beacons on their cars ?

I just bought a 1987 Cadilliac Eureka Concours Endloader
regarding the window signs....I know they were for the Funeral Home name, but would it be correct to have Eureka or Eureka Coach Company in the window ?
Like I said ...this is all new to me, but since my coach is all orginal with only 22,000 miles on it and just came from a Funeral Home in Nova Scotia a few months ago, I would like to be correct.

thanks Mike

Welcome

Welcome to the group Mike...always good to see another Canuck in the Society.

Out West (BC) I don't recall ever seeing flags or beacons on funeral coaches. The only coaches that would have had beacons were combinations when in use as an ambulance (Pre-1973 in BC).

thanks. sometime in the past I remember seeing coach's in Ontario with a small removable purple flashing beacon on the roof. I don't know if that was something normal or just what a few Funeral Homes did. ...any thoughts ????

Welcome to the group, Mike! It's good to see some more Ontario people here. I'm not sure about the flags, but the nameplates in the window are usually of a last name. I don't know if I've ever seen someone put the coachbuilder on the nameplate of their retired hearse, but you could. Some people at shows keep the nameplates from the funeral home where the car worked displayed, or in the case of ambulances, the original style lettering of the ambulance company displayed on the car. Other people get new ones to say what they want, whether that's their own last name, the funeral home they work for, etc. Hope this helps.

Welcome, Mike. Great to have you with us.

Regarding nameplates with the name of your coachbuilder, this can be a nice touch to a professional car, in my opinion. At a recent PCS meet (New Jersey?) there was a 1963-64 Eureka that had "THE EUREKA COMPANY" just like Eureka used in their factory photos of the time. If anyone happens to have photo of this coach, please share it with us.

oo1988-Che-Eur-H-400.jpg

Here is a 1988 Eureka Chevrolet. Nameplates read "EUREKA" and would be appropriate for your 1987.

As everyone here will agree, namesunlimitedcorp.com is the place to get your nameplates!

welcome aboard. these little details were a lot of time regional things. or things that one home did to set them self off from others and make there impression on future clients. as for the name tags one can do about anything. that is, short of vulgar or morbid will excepted in the club. I have seen a number that used the club name or the manufacture and year of the car.

Mike

I would say you got that car from Glen Hogle at Hourglass in Orono.
He had that car for sale at the fall meet I hosted in October.

He can provide some very cool chrome plated name plates with whatever you want spelled out.
I think they are much nicer than the cast version most people have.

They are not cheap at 250.00 a pair but worth checking out before you decide where to get them.

A friend of mine has a couple sets and I will be getting mine from him when I decide what to get. I have been thinking about getting them for years but still haven't decided what to get.

Only one of my cars has the original names still in the window.

If you don't want the chrome versions, it sounds like the cast versions Brad and others mentioned, and in the suggested vendor section of the site, would be your best choice.

Great you have sent in your PCS membership ! That you won't regret !

See you at a meet this summer,
Darren

At a recent PCS meet (New Jersey?) there was a 1963-64 Eureka that had "THE EUREKA COMPANY" just like Eureka used in their factory photos of the time. If anyone happens to have photo of this coach, please share it with us.

Here is the best I have. If you look closely, you will see them in the window.
I believe this car was from PA and won 1st place that year.

Attachments

• 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 293
Thanks Darren and everyone else who replyed...This is the reason I joined PCS and no other "hearse" club.
as soon as I get my membership number I will be joining The Trillium Chapter...... really looking forward to going to a meet this summer in Ontario.

I own a 77 Austin Mini and I spent countless years going to "Mini Meets" all over Canada and the U.S.

I still have the Mini, but I think "she" will see the inside of the garage more this year then the open road !!!

Darren ...do you know where any of the meets will be and when in Ontario this summer?

Back