58 wheel cover centers

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I open my new copy of the Professional Car and thought I had it made. how handy when I was just going back togather with this 58. I have 7 wheel covers
that came with the car. two different designs of centers. 57 and 58 use the same cap but different centers. I had all ready goggled 58 wheel pictures and they show about 6 different ones. but with no descriptions for them it was wasted time. so with magnifying glass in hand I poured over the pictures only to discovered that B&W don"t help and in the colored ones they have different centers on the covers. one has 3 stripes and small centers. replacement cost 50 bucks each. so with not knowing what is used I'm unwilling to pop for what may be wrong. here is what we have. one ring ,large emblem stamped. one set has vertical lines under the crown and in the boxes that are painted red. red and white horizontal stripes white and black in another 2 and floating loons painted black. in the rest.

the other has no vertical stamping just the gold anodizing in the big boxes and black stripes under them the loons are standing up. both have the white and black on the crown.

so which ones would Eureka have put on there 58?? I would guess they would have used the 60 special ones. but have not found a way to confirm. here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0964b.jpg
    IMG_0964b.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0964a.jpg
    IMG_0964a.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 78
1957 and 1958 used different wheel covers. 1958 and 1959 used the same wheel covers with different center medallions. Both years 58 and 59 had the vertical markings you describe under the crown and in the red colored areas. The difference being red, black, white, and blue paint for 1958 and white and black paint for 1959. The three stripe center medallions that are red are probably for 1957. You can see examples and even buy the correct medallions on McVey's website at www.mcveys.com

The three medallions in your second picture appear to be stamped in the reverse of the correct medallions as the merlet (duck) outline is raised where on the correct medallion the duck outline is set in. Maybe they are aftermarket parts.

[URL=http://s912.photobucket.com/user/another38/media/6F24DF65-2807-42E3-81FB-282147D64C22_zpsk5khl5gj.png.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s912.photobucket.com/user/another38/media/9C80D3E9-CACE-4ADE-A6F9-D8E74C768FDC_zpsgmp7lgyg.png.html][/URL]

dark blue was it. dang hope no one gets down on there knees and looks. the center spread show red centers and white crowns and the 57 on the back cover has 58 covers on it. I saw the 62 special used different centers as did the Barazz. that might be were the variations that were pictured came from

but here is what I ended up with today. the original one looked to me to be black and white in the two boxes so that's what we did.

Attachments

• IMG_0971a.jpg
    IMG_0971a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0975a.jpg
    IMG_0975a.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 57
got to putting them on and discovered that indeed 3 of them are an after market type cover. they don't fasten on correctly for caddy thanks for the help on these.

Back