S&S Shocks

Does anyone know if a 76 S&S Ambulance would have came from the factory with adjustable air shocks? It has coilovers on it now and sits unlevel. I believe its the shocks, I have checked the tire pressure on all 4 and they are fine.

Only ever saw one commercial chassis of that era with air shocks and it was a hearse. The valve was located just to the left of the back door. I think its time to have the springs rebuilt. The coil overs are a bandaid to avoid having springs rebuilt.

Its really strange it sits to high on the drivers side. The passenger side sits right about factory level. I thought it might be a weight issue so I sat down in the back on the high side and it didnt move. I thought about taking the coilovers off and just set it on the springs and see if its still unlevel, not sure if that will tell me anything.

I have seen superiors with air shocks that looked factory because of the valve position inside the back door of the rear campartment. I wasnt for sure about S&S.

not uncommon to find a broken leaf in the pack also. I would take the coil overs off and see what happens. just pull them off the bottom mount. count the leaves in the springs to be shure that some one hasn't replaced one with a different count set. they are either 9 or 7 leavs in the procar spring. but they are the same from 57 to 76

Its almost like the coilover is to much for that side. The passenger side that sits correct has the rear heat and ac unit as well as a bench seat on that side. The high side only has a gurney and sparetire. It takes several good l pumps on the jack before the shock even starts to move.

First thing to do, is to get it up on a 4 post lift, and remove the lower part of each shock. Then measure each side of the car at the same point, preferably, in the wheel opening in direct center of the axel center point. That measurement will tell you if either side is sagging. If the measurement is between 1/4" and 1/2", it would be considered acceptable. If greater, then you need to have the springs removed, and either re-tempered, or replaced. A larger truck spring dealer should be able to handle the job. New springs are going to be about $1000, so I would go the re-tempering route if possible. A reputable spring dealer will be able to guide you best.
As for air shocks, I have seen them mostly on ambulances, but that doesn't mean that a hearse or combination car couldn't have them. Look your car over closely, and see if you can see where they were installed. Current production air shocks will cost you about $150 per pair, plus installation. They will not fix a weak spring, since they go up evenly. If you are starting off crooked, you will still be crooked until you have the spring issue addressed.

Back