WANTED TO BUY: Federal 76, 77, 78 Siren

David Henry

PCS Member
Interested in obtaining a working federal 76-78 model mechanical siren to mount behind the grill of my ‘74 S&S Ambulance. Thanks Dave

Federal double tone sirens

In case you're not aware of the differences in these:

76 = painted for concealed mounting (painted base, two hole mount)
77G = chrome for exterior mounting (chrome base, four hole mount)
77L = chrome with stationary light in front (too long for mounting behind the grille)
78 = chrome with moving light in front ( " )

A suffix = no brake
B suffix = brake
R suffix = rear flasher

All of the chrome versions were available with flat or curved mounting bases, permanent or demountable.

Photos of each model can be found online.

Last edited:
Don't believe that I have ever seen a "demountable" siren that either mounted under the hood, or on the exterior of the vehicle. Might you have pictures of this elusive siren mounting hardware?

Don't believe that I have ever seen a "demountable" siren that either mounted under the hood, or on the exterior of the vehicle. Might you have pictures of this elusive siren mounting hardware?

As you can see here, the original Federal demountable beacons--prior to the D series--used siren bases, either flat or curved. These same bases were used for the demountable sirens, which were available on the 60, 70, and C models:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/federal-signal-model-17-beacon-ray-1931730885

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of a combination with a demountable siren in place.

Attachments

• federal-signal-model-17-beacon-ray_1_3587736775f9708a0bbfbda5e8a66169.jpg
    federal-signal-model-17-beacon-ray_1_3587736775f9708a0bbfbda5e8a66169.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 431
Back