Who was your favorite Coach Builder

Whose your favorite Coachbuilder on Cadillac chassis?

• Total voters

Abe Bush

PCS Member
Just curious what the general preference is among our club as to who is your favorite coach builder on the Cadillac Commercial Chassis. It would be interesting to do a poll sometime to see what the preferences are across all the major coachbuilders regardless of chassis, but since Cadillac was "the standard of the world", I thought it would be fun to, as Packard used to say, "ask the man who owns one" (or should I say is most likely to have owned one).

My response would depend on the era.

For instance, the '59 Eurekas are awful, but the '60 Eurekas are very nice.

The '46-'48 S&S cars are my least favorite Cadillacs of that era, while the '59-'76 hearses and lowtop ambulances are beauties.

Et cetera, and so forth...

I have owned many different coach builders cars and it is impossible to say my favorite. I must say though, that in my opinion, Superior certainly had the style in the Fifties and Sixties, they were so attractive.

I my area Superior was the top seller because of price. Wolfington Body Co. did a fantastic job. S&S represented quality that you had to pay for. Spitlers in Montoursville Pa. upstate was the S&S king. Most squads in our area bought Superior they were most always the low bidder. I can't remember who sold M&M you did not see many in eastern Pa. or central or south Jersey.

For craftsmanship and build quality i say MM. A simple stout will built body. For wow factor Superior. Just don't keep it to long. For clean lines and the wow interior you can't beat Eureka. S&S floats between MM and Superiors. They just never got a handle on there rust problem in there tops. But the part i liked about all of them is they all broke.

I totally agree with Steve. It all depends on the era. I LOVE all '57-'64 M-Ms, hearses, combos, ambulances and all. All M-M coaches in the '70s were rot boxes! M-M used really poor quality steel in the '70s and it was apparent early-on. I didn't mind the M-M ambulances in the '70s(I own one), but I really dislike the M-M hearses and combos of the '70s. Boat-like in appearance and really cheap interiors. I love all '65-'76 Superior products. I love the '71 and newer S&S products, but I have very little interest in anything S&S built prior to that. No one ever did better interiors than Eureka did, prior to exiting the industry in '64! I just wouldn't be able to vote in your poll.

Back