1960 first aid box

Tim Prieur

PCS Member
I was recently very fortunate to be given two first aid boxes. Built by Associated Ambulance here in Calgary about 1960 they were used to hold all the first aid supplies for each car. As always these treasurers carry with them stories. I was told triangular bandages were a staple in the day. Where did they get them? Torn up hospital sheets. The budget was very tight.

If anyone had any gauze, tape, tensors and such that would be period correct, that they would consider selling to try and outfit one it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• associated first aid box (600 x 600).jpg
    associated first aid box (600 x 600).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 206
eBay has turned out well for me. The problem I find is that the supplies are generally within a complete first-aid kit - which is usually near complete. I have a hard time with buying a nice, complete kit to strip it for contents...

Single supplies and lots are also there - but then you run into higher prices for some odd reason compared to a whole kit. Then, the shipping costs add up too.

Tim here St John ambulance was a major influence in triangulars and believe me you could fail a first aid course if the knots were not right or the loose ends were not tucked in,many a factory or logging camp had them as part of their first aid kits and here in Ontario workers compensation listed them as part of factory first aid kits,any stuff I had was given to Mike Boyer for his Horton.

Last edited:
Wayne, You are bang on and I had totally forgotten. I took my first St. John Ambulance industrial first aid course, which was the basis for attendant training out here, in 1971. The triangular bandage was a central component of the course and its use critically appraised.

Nic, as you say with ebay, I hate to break up a perfectly good original first aid kit. In addition, a $10.00 shipping charge in the US could easily be $40-$50.00 up here, which kills the budget. I will heed your advice though.

I will have to dig out my old boy scout first ad book. there must have bee a hundred was to us a scout neckerchief.

A HUGE thank you goes out to Brendan Martin who has offered to help me out. I hope to be able to say thank you in person some day.

wonderful folk

In the last week big care packages have arrived from Brendan and Bill. Cannot thank them enough!! It is this kind of people that bring me back to this web site and this club every day. Many thanks!:applause::applause:

Back