1961 Side Mirrors

Were the side mirrors on the 61 Cadillac Eureka Combination the same as the ones installed on the passenger vehicles?
I have looked at pictures of 61 Cad Eurekas, and I have seen some that appear to have a mirror that is not the same as the production vehicles from that year. There is a 'scar' in the paint on my 61 that indicates that the mirror's base came to a point. I have seen some pics online, (the books are hard to see detail) of Commercial Chassis vehicles that have a pointed base, and some that has a base that is squared off. The production vehicles had bases that had a squared off base...I was just wondering. I cannot do the entire project as original ($$), but I would like to do the aesthetics justice. If I cannot find a mirror that is original (or original in appearance) to the car, then I will use one that is at least period correct.
That said...those mirrors are not useful for driving, especially the passenger side mirror...I cannot even see the mirror when driving my 59. My 61 does not appear to have ever had a passenger side mirror...
Thank you for any help any of you may offer.

the two pictures of what I would call as close to original as possible show no mirror on the right of both 61s the drivers side has the tapered base.

not uncommon for them to leave the factory that way and have some one put a after market mirror in the right. if some one had requested a right hand mirror then it would have been a factory one in the factory position. or as you said worthless. the 58 has the spotlight mirror on the left and a fender mounted one on the right and it appears that was the way if came out of the plant

Mirrors

Were the side mirrors on the 61 Cadillac Eureka Combination the same as the ones installed on the passenger vehicles?
I have looked at pictures of 61 Cad Eurekas, and I have seen some that appear to have a mirror that is not the same as the production vehicles from that year. There is a 'scar' in the paint on my 61 that indicates that the mirror's base came to a point. I have seen some pics online, (the books are hard to see detail) of Commercial Chassis vehicles that have a pointed base, and some that has a base that is squared off. The production vehicles had bases that had a squared off base...I was just wondering. I cannot do the entire project as original ($$), but I would like to do the aesthetics justice. If I cannot find a mirror that is original (or original in appearance) to the car, then I will use one that is at least period correct.
That said...those mirrors are not useful for driving, especially the passenger side mirror...I cannot even see the mirror when driving my 59. My 61 does not appear to have ever had a passenger side mirror...
Thank you for any help any of you may offer.

My 61 S&S has stock 61 mirrors and like you say the right one is useless.I just got a clamp on mirror for the right side and it works fine.

Attachments

• DSC02508.jpg
    DSC02508.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 57
Thank you for your reply. My search for a 1961 Cadillac LH mirror leads me to mirrors with a base that is 'squared' off. http://mcveys.com/products/1961-64-left-hand-mirror
The tapered (or pointed) base appears to be factory on the 59 and 60. http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19ca19capasi.html

If I can, I would like to use what is appropriate for the vehicle. I trust an expert such as yourself, but I am confused. Again, my vehicle appears to have had a tapered or pointed base...Should I use an OEM mirror appropriate for a 59 or 60, or is there something else? Would it be a fopaux to use a period correct Yankee (or similar) mirror? I am not planning on entering any car shows, but I would like to respect the history and the builder of the vehicle.

Speaking of the vehicle's history, I have photo-shopped an image of Kennedy, Gandhi, and Elvis sitting in my car...it is now worth millions. :D

Mirror

Thank you for your reply. My search for a 1961 Cadillac LH mirror leads me to mirrors with a base that is 'squared' off. http://mcveys.com/products/1961-64-left-hand-mirror
The tapered (or pointed) base appears to be factory on the 59 and 60. http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19ca19capasi.html

If I can, I would like to use what is appropriate for the vehicle. I trust an expert such as yourself, but I am confused. Again, my vehicle appears to have had a tapered or pointed base...Should I use an OEM mirror appropriate for a 59 or 60, or is there something else? Would it be a fopaux to use a period correct Yankee (or similar) mirror? I am not planning on entering any car shows, but I would like to respect the history and the builder of the vehicle.

Speaking of the vehicle's history, I have photo-shopped an image of Kennedy, Gandhi, and Elvis sitting in my car...it is now worth millions. :D

Your second link shows this info= Fits 1961 Cadillac 75 series...fits 1962 Cadillac 75 series...fits 1963 Cadillac 75 series...fits 1964 Cadillac 75 series...and fits 1965 Cadillac 75 series.

This is the same mirror on my 61 and are original to the car.

Last edited:
Thanks to the expert online and offline advise...problem solved. The mirror for the 61 CC is not the same as the production vehicle...the CC mirror for the 61 is the same as the 59 and the 60.

how true but it's still useless on the car as it sits right with the vent glass divider between it and you.

if you don't have one take Dan's advice and use one of the bolt on the door edge peep mirrors.

Back