Chrome Oxygen tanks....

James Fischer

PCS Member
Has anyone had a oxygen tank chromed recently ??
If so was wondering what they are getting to do it these days....
Back in the early 70's..they ran about $35.00......
And I am sure it would be close to that today ?? NOT.........especially here in California with all the EPA and tree huggers we have......:D
a lot of guys are sending chrome work to Aridzona or Nevada...where there are a lot less restrictions.....
In the Sacramento area we used to have no less then 18 shops.....now 2....
any replies would be helpful and interesting.....
Thanks all !

I have never seen one. I would think that it would be kind of useless, since they are supposed to be painted green to show what gas they contain.

Metropolatan Ambulance Service in Sacramento used chrome tanks, and I've seen other services back in the 70's that also liked to display a bit of bling in the patient compartment. More common than chrome tanks, were chrome sleeves that fit over the "E' tanks. Hard to find them today.

Yes we did.....actually Superior Ambulance had them first.....and then Metro got them...when Superior bought Metro......
Mike liked all his rigs to look "polished" and sparkling.....we had to wash the rigs every other day and wax once a month......and most of the rigs had the "Superior" or "Metropolitan" in "gold-metallic" decals.....very expensive in those days.....
But it sure did look purdy......and with the O2 bottles next to the windows it really set off the inside....

chrome costs

My general rule of thumb for costs is that small items start around $60. Bumpers are probably ten times that. The item has to be able to be submerged in distilled water with no other non-conductive pieces. Good luck! Federal regulations are very discouraging from the standpoint of a business owner.

Yes.....
My brother just had front and rear bumpers re-chromed (no dings to work out) on a 59 Cadillac ...,he got "show chrome" and it was $2100.00 and "regular chrome" was $1700.00..........
I did just get a quote on the O2 tanks Friday...they said $225.00......not to bad....

Im not sure the cost for an O2 cylinder, but there is another process out there that can "chrome" conductive and also non-conductive items.
It is a spray on process. They did a chrome lingerie set for Victoria's Secret fashion show once. I have used them when I paint racing helmets.

Back