I have questions, now that I have a car

Over the weekend I took a little trip out to CO to pick up the 61 Superior. It was definetly a interesting trip. The car itself was sitting on its frame in the silt, there was a tree over it and it was back about 150 ft from the main road in the brush. We had to have a flatbed come and get it out, all and all about a 4 1/2 hour load up time (after a 21 hr drive from Chicago). Here is the only pic I have uploaded so far.

Ok onto the questions, this didnt have a title so I really dont know where it came from. Are there any good resources to track at least what it was built for or who? Does Superior keep build records? I looked on here but I cant cross reference the model# as well. Here is what the tag says:

model # 604
Body # 6 79
Sill # 7520

Again any input is much appreciated :)

Congradulations Donna. Nice looking project. It looks to be pretty solid. Good luck with it, and please keep us updated on your progress.

Josh

the superior book will give you the a little information on the car. superior has changed hands a lot since they built this one. so no company records at all. digging around in and cleaning up the car will revile a lot of things. even a old pen under the seat can be a clue as to were it was put in service. the rear compartments may have a treasure trove of stuff. it just a wait and see. we all have had our frustration on tracing Hx of cars.

The car has been cleaned. There was nothing in the overhead compartment, under the seat or the glove box.

The only thing I did find ,other than spiders and a mouse, was a syringe with no needle (no company listed)

According to the information in McPherson's Superior book, a 1961 Model 604 was a Royale Series limousine-style end-loading funeral coach that had a retail price of $10,194. A Model 604C was a Royale Series limousine-style combination car. There were 221 examples of the 604 end-loading hearse built - according to the book. The other numbers pertained to the Superior body number and the Cadillac sill (cowl) on this car.

Back