TPC issue #153

John Royark JR

PCS Member
Today the latest TPC issue arrived. As usual a top rate publication, the recent talk here about flower cars and those that love and wanting one (myself included), the center stretch is breathtaking!!! That's all the spoiler you get from me.
Don't worry, the rest of the magazine is equally as good. Its always hard to believe this quality is put together by VOLUNTEERS, that's dedication. :applause::applause:

Agreed!

TPC 153 has arrived here as well, and I echo John's comments. The center stretch is a "frame and hang on the wall" type photo!

Even though we all appreciate this magazine, I just don't think we truly understand how much time and effort these guys put into it, especially now with six issues per year.

THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN!

:applause:

I havent got mine yet but when you compare it to the other national car club magazine that I get, The Professional car is 100% better. More color, but most importantl, the quality of the writing! Walt & Brady & the gang deserve mounds n mounds of praise!

on the current issue I would suggest contacting the membership chairman Jeff. as I think the extras go there first. then the past issues will be for sale from the storekeeper Matt. they and there contact information are listed in the magazine. Either man will let you know were you can get them.

Today the latest TPC issue arrived. As usual a top rate publication, the recent talk here about flower cars and those that love and wanting one (myself included), the center stretch is breathtaking!!! That's all the spoiler you get from me.
Don't worry, the rest of the magazine is equally as good. Its always hard to believe this quality is put together by VOLUNTEERS, that's dedication. :applause::applause:

I agree! Having recently developed a case of "Flower car fever" this issue is really appreciated by me. =)

Gremlins??

While I thoroughly enjoyed the issue, I noticed the printing gremlins showed up in my issue. A portion of the second paragraph on page 49 (The Pride of Bogota Returns) was repeated as the last paragraph in the story on page 52. I suspect the story ended on the previous paragraph with the offending portion added, well, "just because".

Kudos

As usual, I cannot say enough good things about the magazine staff. Those guys (Smith, McPherson & McCall) are really the talent that keeps me in this organization. I get fed up with the whining & bickering about this and that and think about just not renewing my membership then the TPC comes and I forget everything that is stupid and realize one issue of TPC is worth a year's dues. :applause::applause::applause:

Still Waiting - Me Too

Need a sneak preview / teaser? - Go to About Us - then goto the TPC Index page.

My copy arrived last Friday and it is fabulous, as usual! I am intrigued by the stacked headlight Caddies and I am enjoying the articles very much.

Got mine in So-Cal earlier this week too. To echo the accolades above THANKS to all the "PCS Senior Heavyweights" that put this together ie; Walt McCAll, Tom McPherson, Brady Smith + Steve Litchman for his pictures of the lengendary Parson's-Fantin Ambulance and I am sure many others behind the scenes that make this happen. The Professional Car Magazine alone is worth (at least) three times the annual dues just for the McCall/McPherson articles and pictures that you could only get in one of their books otherwise. THX AGAIN! MM

Now...For Some Good News

When the Professional Car Society was established in 1976, its priority was to foster acceptance and appreciation of coachbuilt funeral vehicles and ambulances within the old car hobby through its advocacy of authentically restored, preserved and presented autos that honored the history of the funeral car and ambulance. George Hamlin, recalls that in the past the Antique Automobile Club of America actually banned hearses outright from its events. How far the PCS has progressed in its efforts was emphasized with certainty in Milwaukee, Wisconsin when PCS member Dan Skivolocke won the Best-of-Show "Piston Cup" for his 1959 S&S Cadillac Victoria which was displayed at the prestigious Milwaukee Masterpiece Concours. Now, we are informed of yet another display of the progress the PCS has driven toward the acceptance of these vehicles by the automotive hobby at large.

Four separate feature articles written by Tom McPherson for TPC #151 (the Cars of Camelot issue) have been nominated for the prestigious Carl Benz award by the Society of Automotive Historians. The Carl Benz Award recognizes excellence in the presentation of automotive history appearing in a periodical. All commercial, club and academic periodicals are welcome. This is the first time that any of the work from TPC has been nominated and considered for this high profile writing award.

While I'm given to understand that the winner of the 2013 award will not be announced until October of this year, and I am sceptical about our chances, the very nomination of these articles from TPC should serve to heighten the awareness within serious automotive enthusiasts and historians of the Professional Car Society, The Professional Car as a publication and the vehicles in general.

As an organization, the PCS and the vehicles we admire, study and preserve are now starting to attract the kind of respect and admiration that was intended when the organization was founded back in 1976. We can all take a great deal of satisfaction in this.

When the Professional Car Society was established in 1976, its priority was to foster acceptance and appreciation of coachbuilt funeral vehicles and ambulances within the old car hobby through its advocacy of authentically restored, preserved and presented autos that honored the history of the funeral car and ambulance. George Hamlin, recalls that in the past the Antique Automobile Club of America actually banned hearses outright from its events. How far the PCS has progressed in its efforts was emphasized with certainty in Milwaukee, Wisconsin when PCS member Dan Skivolocke won the Best-of-Show "Piston Cup" for his 1959 S&S Cadillac Victoria which was displayed at the prestigious Milwaukee Masterpiece Concours. Now, we are informed of yet another display of the progress the PCS has driven toward the acceptance of these vehicles by the automotive hobby at large.

Four separate feature articles written by Tom McPherson for TPC #151 (the Cars of Camelot issue) have been nominated for the prestigious Carl Benz award by the Society of Automotive Historians. The Carl Benz Award recognizes excellence in the presentation of automotive history appearing in a periodical. All commercial, club and academic periodicals are welcome. This is the first time that any of the work from TPC has been nominated and considered for this high profile writing award.

While I'm given to understand that the winner of the 2013 award will not be announced until October of this year, and I am sceptical about our chances, the very nomination of these articles from TPC should serve to heighten the awareness within serious automotive enthusiasts and historians of the Professional Car Society, The Professional Car as a publication and the vehicles in general.

As an organization, the PCS and the vehicles we admire, study and preserve are now starting to attract the kind of respect and admiration that was intended when the organization was founded back in 1976. We can all take a great deal of satisfaction in this.

Congratulations Tom!! It is a well deserved honor just in receiving the nomination!

Tom has proven that he is on par with any of the best known automotive history writers. He doesn't write based on opinion, he writes based on researched facts. (And having visited his "research library", AKA his house, I now understand just how extensive his research and resources truly are and how exhaustive his efforts are.) We should be proud to have him as our research author for the PCS.

Thanks, Keith, for letting us know!

Back