Henney pressed into service once again

Mike Burkhart - Deceased 1948 - 2016

December 30, 1948 - October 21, 2016
The 1941 Henney - Packard was pressed into service once again Tuesday for a dear friend and collegue who worked for me for many years at the Funeral Home. He was 90 years old, and one of his wishes was to take his last ride in the Packard. Photos were taken in front of St. Andrews Catholic Church in Wright, Kansas.

It was an honor to do this for my friend.

Attachments

• Henney at St. Andrews, Wright, KS 001.jpg
    Henney at St. Andrews, Wright, KS 001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 364
  • Henney at St. Andrews, Wright, KS 005.jpg
    Henney at St. Andrews, Wright, KS 005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 371
Speaking of Henney Packard's

Went this evening to ck out the 49 packard that Adam Borkat told me about and was only about 8 miles from my house and I didn't know it was there. Very sad car, ran and drove but rockers rusted out and really didn't have any floors to speak of. Appeared to maybe be a combination. Price was $5500 and I thought $1500 more like it. It did run and drive and had new brakes but needed total restoration to say the least.

Caskets may also be a bit larger that they were when this car was new in 1941. There's no doubt that people in general are significantly larger (taller and wider) than they were then.

When I ran my '39 in the funeral for one of the founders of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum, after (side) loading him, the young assistant director started walking away and I discreetly asked him "Would you like to put the flowers on top?" He looked at the space above the casket and quietly said "oh..... yeah". Seems as though this is something they're not used to doing on the newer cars. Tom

Attachments

• 39_NATMUS.jpg
    39_NATMUS.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 85
Back