Clean Up/Restoration Ideas

David Henry

PCS Member
I was able to purchase these METROPOLITAN cast window signs recently on ebay. As you can see they need to be cleaned up and the chrome surface has some small pits in the finish.

Does anyone have experience, thoughts, ideas on how to bring these back to somewhat new condition?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Dave

Attachments

• Metro Signs.jpg
    Metro Signs.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 146
If they are chrome plated about all you can do Is buff the and repaint the black. But if the have not been plated you can sand the letters about to remove the pits and buff them back to a high shine. Do the progressive grits of paper. Course to remove the pits then finer to remove the scratches. I find that 80,180,320,400,800,1200 then buff worked for me. the 1200 will leave a clean brushed good if you want to stop there.

Those are not chrome-plated. Just a brushed aluminum finish. A Scotch Brite pad and "Barkeeper's Friend" will make a huge difference. Just keep your rubbing all horizontal.

I know where those plates came from(same place as my '74 Lifeliner) and I know that they were stored in an extremely wet environment. Unfortunately, even the NOS ambulance parts that Gene Jr. has are in rough condition due to neglect/poor storage.

Last edited:
Good score!

Good score David. I hunted for an old set of these for as long as I had the car. They'll look great on the service doors.

Back