Drugs are everywhere

AP, Baltimore – Funeral directors in Maryland are increasingly concerned their employees could be exposed to opioids.

That’s why some are stocking naloxone, the medication the reverses the effects of an overdose.

The Baltimore Sun reported Friday that funeral directors are calling themselves the “last responders” to the opioid epidemic.

The concern is that employees could come into contact with opioids on a dead person’s body or the clothes of a mourner …
‘Last responders’: Maryland’s funeral directors consider stocking opioid overdose antidote Narcan

Baltimore Sun – Tucked between catalogs for embalming fluids and mortuary stretchers, two doses of the opioid antidote naloxone sit in a cabinet near funeral director Jeffrey Gair’s desk.

“It’s just in case,” Gair says he thinks to himself, before locking the cabinet door each night.

The mortician at Peaceful Alternatives Funeral & Cremation Center in Timonium has never opened the plastic casing around the Narcan nasal spray, which is used to counteract the effects of an opioid overdose.
“Lethal in amounts as small as a grain of salt”

Still, Gair sometimes wonders how much longer his supply will go unused.

As the number of drug-related deaths in Maryland continues to climb, funeral directors are calling themselves the “last responders” to the opioid epidemic.

The moniker represents an anxiety within the central Maryland funeral industry over how aggressive licensed morticians should be in preparing for overdoses at their businesses.

They worry that synthetic opioids like fentanyl and carfentanyl could be on a deceased person’s body or on the clothes of a mourner, inadvertently exposing their staff or guests at the funeral home to danger.

It ain't funny and it ain't getting better.

There is a currently unfolding story from Hamlin NY, a bedroom suburb of Rochester. 2 dead are represented to be fine upstanding college students, who were found partly incinerated in a car. Autopsy showed both had bullets in their skulls prior to incineration.

The killer, another fine upstanding local boy is in custody after about a week of investigation and has confessed. Reason for the murders was a pot deal gone south.

I remain absolutely unsure Harry Anslinger's massive misrepresentations to Congress back in the 30s had any positive result beyond creating a large number of government jobs.
I am however certain based on my own observations millions of people who don't use drugs are paying a high price for drugs.

I voted against a ballot initiative here in California that legalized the recreational use of pot. The initiative passed by a safe margin.

I have to say that there is one prominent benefit to this: Available cannabis products are more consistent and prices have been driven down to below half of what they were. As a cancer patient I let a couple of friends talk me into buying some CBD oil to help my appetite. It didn't work but I was in awe of the dispensary with its powerful products for cheap prices. This has served to cripple pot dealers in the state.

glad to get your report on the benefits. :thumbsup: not is that cheap stuff would just stay in those place that want it it would be OK

Back