Huge problem with '86 Superior Buick

I know I'll hear a lot of "it's not that popular of a car" but she was my first.

I went to get the windshield in my Superior replaced. When the installer pulled the chrome around the wind shield and lifted the vinyl he found a ton of rust. It is to the point where if he took the glass out the top of the frame would come with it.

Can this be replaced? It's still a great car so I hate to scrap it. Maybe Mr. Renstrom could chime in.

I'll get pictures of it when I get home.:(

I know I'll hear a lot of "it's not that popular of a car" but she was my first.

I went to get the windshield in my Superior replaced. When the installer pulled the chrome around the wind shield and lifted the vinyl he found a ton of rust. It is to the point where if he took the glass out the top of the frame would come with it.

Can this be replaced? It's still a great car so I hate to scrap it. Maybe Mr. Renstrom could chime in.

I'll get pictures of it when I get home.:(

Nothing like the first and I had one. I think you will need Ed to chime in because if any one would know, he would.

Best of Luck!

It would be easier for a repair shop to fix this, then to install a complete new windshield frame, if you could even get one. A picture of the rusted areas would be necessary to know how bad it actually is. Without first removing the windshield, you are just guessing as to the extent of the rust damage. Usually they rust at the bottom edge at the dash. Depending on how many layers of steel come together at that point will determine how difficult it is to repair. Did you have any water leaks into the front passenger compartment? If you did, the problem is serious, if not, then the repair shouldn't be that bad for an experienced metal man. It is going to be mostly labor expense, unless they get into major paint work.

No it's bad. It is actually rusted through at the top in a couple places. I have a plastic tarp on it right now. I'm thinking it may need to go away.

Yes. on the passenger side there is hole i can almost put a flat hand into. I'll need to get my camera working and get up the courage to lift the vinyl and trim.

if the top is in good shape the repair around the glass is do able. but when they get this bad it's a allover kind of thing usually. the problem is they did not paint under the top. the vinyl is porous and lets water pass threw the backing holds it and it rusts away. the repair is not for the faint at hart. use one of the spray tire foams and saturate the top to soften the vinyl then you can work a putty knife under the top to peal it back to were you have good metal. work off all the flaking rust and treat with a rust converter following the direction of the product you use. put a patch of metal from under the hole and rivet it on file down the heads so they aren't a lump. then lay a patch of filler like All Metal over your patch and over any pin poles around the edge. prime with a oil base primer like rustoleum. re glue the top back down and replace the glass. then just enjoy the car. total cost if you do it your self would be less then 100 bucks. if you can salvage the top. you may never find another body man willing to do it for any price. if you can't do it. ask around. let them know your not holding them to the top being damaged or it comming threw in another place. all your asking for is to clean it up enought to get a few more years out of the car. it may last forever it might last till tomorrow. you enjoy the car it's worth a try to salavage it. but not woth putting a used top on that may be in the same shape as yours

Attachments

• IMG_021.jpg
    IMG_021.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 04 left side.jpg
    04 left side.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 05 right front.jpg
    05 right front.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 308
Thanks Ed! She needs new vinyl any ways. It's not too bad but it has started to check on top. I've got plenty of time to take it apart this weekend to get a full idea of what I'm dealing with. I may just try to repair the top with a vinyl repair kit while I'm at it.:cheers:

if the top is brittle you can't save it. it would be allmos tinpossable to remove a whole top and put it back on. ack aroudn and see what a new one will be then decide. it would b ebest to strip off the old na dredo the whole top as if the front is that bad te rest has to be to. but around here a new top will run a man a grand at least.

if the top is brittle you can't save it. it would be allmos tinpossable to remove a whole top and put it back on. ack aroudn and see what a new one will be then decide. it would b ebest to strip off the old na dredo the whole top as if the front is that bad te rest has to be to. but around here a new top will run a man a grand at least.

I need to do some serious soul searching. I paid 1,500 for it 8 years ago.

redo the vinyl top is really not a lot more then repainting one. if your willing to do the prep work your self. converting the rust, filling the holes and giving it a good layer of oil base primer can be done with simple hand tools and no more work then painting a wall. then have them put on a 1/4 pad under the top will hid all the damage and work done. but not alter the appearance of the car any. a grand in 8 years not to bad for a pro car. just depends on if you like the car or not. you like it it's worth putting a little money in to keep. you can look around and see what a grand will get one on a different car.

Ok. I've stripped the vinyl, killed the rust (I hope), and patched the holes. Tonight I will run water over the repair and see if it still leaks. Shouldn't though. There is more material up there than when the car was new. I will probably nix my idea of a half top and just go black over white. I will use the Herculiner on the top to give it a crinkle top look.

don't do Herculiner it doesn't have any UV screener and will go chocky on you. there are a few more of the home kits out there that are better.

I had the roof on my 73 sprayed with Line-X. I haven't had any problems with it. I was told that Line-X has something they can put on old bedliners to make them shine again. I haven't stopped to ask about it yet.
I had a friend that had a hearse she owned sprayed with cheap bedliner. Within a week rust was coming through from under the bedliner.

Thanks Ed. How about the Rustoleum kit. It says it won't fade.

those are the kind your looking for. every thing will weather, some just take longer then others. now are we talking about a top coat for the roof or something to put under the vinyl top?

The windshield has finally been sealed!! No more leaks and no more tarps to keep the rain out.:rofl: Earlier I said restoration. It's more of a brightening up it's appearance.

I had the roof on my 73 sprayed with Line-X. I haven't had any problems with it. I was told that Line-X has something they can put on old bedliners to make them shine again. I haven't stopped to ask about it yet.
I had a friend that had a hearse she owned sprayed with cheap bedliner. Within a week rust was coming through from under the bedliner.

I hope I have killed the rust. I can't find anymore.

Back