Dirty trick #22-137 Corroded wires

When you encounter lovely black copper wire, and you will if you're in a salt area, vinegar will remove the corrosion in short time and return the copper to bright connectable status.

The easiest and best way I've found to treat such wires is to employ the wonderful plastic stem vases florists use on rose stems. The cap pops off easily, dump the water and replace with vinegar. Put cap back on and insert wire to self clean.

Generally the minivases are easier to obtain from Funeral Homes than florists. They are reusable until stepped on.

me I don't have enough time to mess with it as with any acid you pest not dump that one year had to find piece in it for any reason. that's what bead blaster are for. they is a interesting vido o Y tube on rust removal. sorry I don't have a link to the one I was watching as I was skimming stuff this last week. but it's safe to say if you have a product you want to try there is a video on y -tub some one has posted using it.

need a rust converter use Coke

Rust conversion is a Phosphoric acid process 5 to 8% in water solution. Phosphoric is the only acid that doesn't attack good iron. Lot of Phosphoric converter is sold by Locktite & others. Add a little dissolved magnesium if you want a nice black color. Go up to 50% Phosphoric and Phosphoric becomes a rust remover.

Do NOT get Phosphoric around aluminum unless you want the aluminum to disappear.

Want to chelate rust, get a bag of cow molasses.

Electroplating rust off is the fastest process that works.

Blasting with any media, other than soda or corncob just peens rust seeds in for future growth followed by coating spall.

Back