Ethenol in gasoline....

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
5 Things That Are Costing You Money & Destroying Your Collector Car
Preface: Fuel Systems and Ethanol Fuel
Older vehicles made before 2004 do not have fuel system components that can stand up to the highly corrosive effects of ethanol-blended gasoline. As ethanol has infiltrated the nation's fuel supply, more and more people are witnessing firsthand how ethanol dissolves rubber and plastic parts over time and draws water into the fuel. Beyond this, ethanol reduces gas mileage (it has less energy than gasoline does). Depending on what state you're in, it may actually be illegal to buy ethanol-free gas at the filling station.

Here are the 5 facts you need to know to protect your vehicles and your wallet.

Fact 1: Ethanol is an alcohol added to gasoline by federal law, which is costing Americans more of their money this year than ever before. A recent study performed by the US Automakers warn drivers that additional Ethanol added to our fuel could cost them $4,000 in repairs on each vehicle they drive.

Fact 2: You get lower mileage on ethanol-blended gasoline than regular gasoline because ethanol has less energy in it. E10 users already see a 3 - 5% drop in fuel economy. With E15 being pushed out nationwide within a year, you can expect an even larger drop in fuel economy from this blend.

Fact 3: Ethanol attracts moisture from the air, which destroys the quality of the gasoline and strips away a good amount of the octane rating of that fuel due to phase separation. You end up with a layer of poor quality gasoline and a layer of water and ethanol in the bottom of your fuel tank that can damage your engine if it's sucked up into the combustion chamber by your fuel line.

Fact 4: Ethanol is corrosive to rubber, plastic and even some metals like aluminum. Over time, this process can destroy seals, gaskets, fuel lines and other key components of your engine costing you breakdowns and extra repair costs.

Fact 5: You can protect yourself from the damaging effects of ethanol with Ethanol Defense by Bell Performance.

Bell Performance representative Rhonda Stuter has supplied the Friends of the Professional Car Society with the above information and they can be contacted at http://www.bellperformance.com. This information is offered as given by the company, and you can make your own decision on the value of the product. The manufacturer is responsible for the accuracy of the above statements. Use of this product is not endorsed or recommended by the Friends of the Professional Car Society,

S.gif

all that and it takes a gallon and a half of petroleum products to produce one gallon of ETOH. the oil compenies say bring it on babby we love it.

In one of the collector car magazines I get, I think it was the Hagerty one, it said it takes 25x more energy to create a unit of ethanol than the unit's output. How much sense does that make? That's basically like spending a quarter for every penny you mint...

now the thing to remember is you and I are supporting this industry and making a few people vary rich. your tax dollars at work big plant here in SD.
with out the federal subsidies and the renewable fuel requirements they would not be in business.

ethe get ya gas

i bite the bullet on gas. i have bought a 55 gallon drum of 100 octane gas andmix it with 93 octane sold here. some cars i run it straight. it's unleaded so i add lead additive in my older cars. we are subbing the goverments need to artifficialy proping up the ethanol manufacturers. want to see lower gas prices? make the goverment stop proping up these manufactures. and they get a tax break for making ethanol. sometimes the suckers are us because of the goverments attempt to help us. didnt ask for there help but in there divine wisdom they are going to help us whether it makes monetary or mechanical sense. we are going to the disposable car mentality. make em to last 5 or 6 years and then recycle and start all over again. i have a fix. every 5 years let the goverment buy back your car for 50% of what you paid and mstart all over again. 100,000 coach? get 50k for scrapping it. hey id be happy. depreciate the other 50% and we drive for free! and also dont run 100 octane in your lawn mower. it fried my john deere riding mowers motor and warranty was voided because of my honesty in telling them what gas i was running. costly mistake for being honest. 87 octane only. i mix 2 stroke gas oil mix by the gallon only because of ethanol. :blahblah:

Back