Signal Light Issue

D

Dean Wilkinson

Having problems with the signal lights and 4 way flashers on the 73 Cadillac. Fuse, flasher and bulbs all check out okay, but when turn signal engaged, lights come on solid and will not flash. Suggestions?

Look for a bad ground on the side that doesn't flash. The 4 way flasher is integrated into the directional signal system, and works independently of the normal directional light system. Also, rev the engine while trying the directional lights, and see if it makes any difference. Don't remember your system that well, but there may also be another flasher for the directionals, and it might be burned out.

I agree and...

I agree with Paul. A bad ground was the first thing that came to mind. And remember, after you find the bad ground to look at the dash from time to time to make sure you don't drive 6 miles with a turn signal on. Hey, none of us are 'pups' anymore it could happen. Hope you get it fixed without too much work involved.
Mike

I had the same issue Dean and one of the front turn signals had a bad ground. I actually had to run a wire from the base of the bulb and ground it to the ambulance before it would work.

Richard

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Went out and checked all the circuits again, removed and replaced the flasher unit and they are once again working. Don't know why but they are.......until the next time.

it can be a bad flasher. if all the lights are bright and not flashing that is usually the case. if it's a bad ground then only one will be bright the other dim or not lite at all. other time the bad ground will show up with a number of bulbs trying to light.

Back