painting crinkle top

number one get drunk so you don't have any idea what your doing, oh ya best to have the car ready to go before that. then attack it with no purpose. keep in mind that it wrinkles by film thickness. so if you lay it down in a pattern as you would normal paint it will wrinkle more on the overlap. my first attempt on Jim's 66 came out looking like a checkerboard.

so open up the gun as wide as you can used as little of reducer as possible and go in circles every which way and don't be afraid to get a lot on.

if you step in the garage latter in the day and it has not wrinkled, don't get discouraged. park it out in the sun and as the rays hit it it will wrinkle.

it had not wrinkled on that 73 over night. I ran it outside the next day figuring on having to remove the paint and even though it was cold that morning as the sun hit it you could watch it wrinkle. kind of weird stuff.

its a crinkle top already

Clarification: getting ready to sell the 72 and I'm just not happy with the consistency of the roof's appearance.
Thanks Ed...any more thoughts?

Dan H has the magic formula for renewing one. I know it one the site and a search will bring it up. but you have to know how to spell to use the search feature. in involves semi flat rust-oleum thinned to water and a brush. as I recall. it will even out the color but of course not the wrinkles. top needs to be cleaned and dry then just brush it on.

I would like to have my 59 Eureka landau crinkle coat brought up a notch...My '57 appears to be flat, not glossy. Was the '59 flat or glossy from the builder?
I would like to keep it looking like the builder intended.

Thanks in advance for any answers...

Eureka crinkle finish

Channing,
Eureka's method of applying their crinkle finish resulted in a very low-gloss/satin sheen when new, but usually became flat-looking before too long.

they all used the same paint. the sun would fade them out very fast. if you use the trick it will bring it back to day one and keep it there. the problem with it was that the one they were uses dried vary pores water and dirt would penetrate it. this trick suckes into the top and restores the color plus fills the holes. i was vary surprised at Dans car one meet to the next.

I know the Ferraris and Maseratis use it on the intakes and valve covers, but I was told someone has a formula for it. I've tried searching this site, but my phone won't let me use the search function.

I can't remember who posted it, but might have been Paul or Ed that the crinkle paint was a Maserati item

That was me ,some pics of the 68 . Need to do some touch up but came out pretty good for a first try.

Attachments

• DSC03527.jpg
    DSC03527.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC03545.jpg
    DSC03545.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC03541.jpg
    DSC03541.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 205
some one said they had it at summit in quarts. but I have not tried it from there yet. I have had good luck from these people

Attachments

• wrinkle pant co.jpg
    wrinkle pant co.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 199
Paint

Thanks a lot. It's cheaper than I thought it would be. Does it have the same texture as the original? It's hard to tell in the pictures.

I think each manufacture was little differnt ,but my 68 Superior had a fine texture and this was pretty close to the original top.

each time you spray it you will get a different texture. film thickness humidity drying time all would play a factor. the two I did looked as nice as any I have seen but as Dan said maybe a little finer texture. be sure and stir it till your arms are tired. one has to remember the manufactured process. is way different then back yard. they would be buying it bulk and have special guns that most likely sprayed it under presser with at least two guys doing it. you can't duplicate that with out the same set up.

Back