Heater Core

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
Hello all, today I finally got the 63 out out it's hibernation, changed the oil and gave it a good cleaning. After a ride I noticed antifreeze on the passenger side floor. I'm thinking my heater core is shot. My question is, does a 1963 Cadillac Superior Ambulance use the same heater core as a standard 1963 Cadillac? The car does NOT have A/C. Thanks.

Should be the same as the regular Cad. Yours can probably be repaired by a good radiator shop. Sometimes it's not the core leaking, but a small connector hose cracked, which is an easy fix.

Last edited:
H/Core

Should be the same as the regular Cad. Yours can probably be repaired by a good radiator shop

Since the 63 still uses the 59 cowl it might be different than a stock 63 Caddy. I believe the heater control valve is on the inside to , have both checked.

Group 8.854 part number 3144756 Fits the following: Cadillac Commercilal chassis 1959-1964; Cadillac Passanger car 1959 - 1962, Buick 1959-1962; Pontiac 1959-1960; Chevrolet 1959-1960 all and 1961-1962 with A.C. This core is correct for all AC cars and non AC cars.

no matter what it's a take apart and look. I never got lucky enough to ever have it be a hard hose start leaking. but any good radiator shop can replace the block. just know what a new one cost so you have something for comparison. just don't forget to test it if you get a new one. I can't tell you the number of them we found that leaked.

Its the same as the series 75. The heater control valve is bolted onto the heater core.

Not like the standard series car.

There are several on Ebay use 1959-1960 Chevrolet for search. When calling local parts stores use the Chevrolet don't cofuse them with Cadillac commercial. I have a used one in an ambulance but if you can get new one you are better off.

Post a picture of the heater valve. I doubt that a Chevrolet heater valve is going to work in your Cadillac.

Valve

Its the same as the series 75. The heater control valve is bolted onto the heater core.

Not like the standard series car.

Like Russ has said ,the h/c valve bolts to the heater core . A good radiator shop can put a core in your old one.This is one place that sells heater cores and can rebuild your valve .Do them both and you should never have to do them again.

FITS:

All 1962 Models– Except. series 75 Limousine
1963 – 1964 – Series 75 Limousine, CC Dash ONLY
1965 – series 75 Limousine Dash Only

Attachments

• 3933.JPG
    3933.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
This is the heater core shut off valve from my 1962 Chevrolet C/B BelAir ambulance. I had a spare rebuilt for the day that I will need to change it in my car. I am certainly glad that I didn't have to pay Caddy Daddy price to have this one rebuilt.

Attachments

• MVC-012L.JPG
    MVC-012L.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 231
  • MVC-013L.JPG
    MVC-013L.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 226
  • MVC-014L.JPG
    MVC-014L.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 230
  • MVC-015L.JPG
    MVC-015L.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 231
I ordered the neutral safety switch and heater core from the gentleman I bought the car from, who happens to be, or was a PCS member. His name is Dave Sabonjian and he sells antique Cadillac parts, with a specialty in 63-64 Cadillacs. Dave has been a huge help since the day I bought his car. The heater control valve is enroute from an ebay auction. Fingers crossed. A BIG THANK YOU for those who helped in this thread. I will keep you posted.

the link I posted will rebuild the valve. you might consider sending your old on in and have a spare. the insurance policy you will ever have is a spare part. it almost 100% guarantees you never need it . all that will break is the parts you don't have on hand.

I just went through this with my '60 Eureka. You're lucky the car doesn't have a/c because it makes the job take longer. You will have to remove the Bowden control cables from the heater control valve before removing the heater assembly. There is a small access panel in the heater box that you would open to do this.

The heater control valve is attached with nuts to studs on the side of the heater core. A gasket is sandwiched between the valve and the core header. It is definitely possible that the rubber stoppers (or flow controllers) of the valve are leaking and that the core is OK.

Remove the heater box assembly from the car, remove the heater core and valve from the heater box. A good radiator shop will dunk test them both and see where the leak is. There is an outfit in Windsor CT that does a good job of rebuilding the valves. They do a really good job but are a bit expensive. In my case I did not want to ever remove that heater again so I opted for the valve rebuild as well as a new heater core, which was the source of the leak. If I can help any further please email me directly: hoczyk@yahoo.com. Tom

I just went through this with my '60 Eureka. You're lucky the car doesn't have a/c because it makes the job take longer. You will have to remove the Bowden control cables from the heater control valve before removing the heater assembly. There is a small access panel in the heater box that you would open to do this.

The heater control valve is attached with nuts to studs on the side of the heater core. A gasket is sandwiched between the valve and the core header. It is definitely possible that the rubber stoppers (or flow controllers) of the valve are leaking and that the core is OK.

Remove the heater box assembly from the car, remove the heater core and valve from the heater box. A good radiator shop will dunk test them both and see where the leak is. There is an outfit in Windsor CT that does a good job of rebuilding the valves. They do a really good job but are a bit expensive. In my case I did not want to ever remove that heater again so I opted for the valve rebuild as well as a new heater core, which was the source of the leak. If I can help any further please email me directly: hoczyk@yahoo.com. Tom
Thank you Tom!

Well, the NOS heater core, and heater control valve are in and holding. I also replaced the neutral safety switch. It was nice, so after being at the shop it needed a bath. Thanks for the tech support folks!

image-3489808032.jpg

Back