detail the engine compartment.

any tips on ZeeBart?

Great looking engine compartment. Puts one I know of to shame for sure.
Any tips on REMOVING ZeeBart? Back in the early 70s my father in law had the 61MM ZeeBarted. That may have been a good thing but they even did under the hood. Or the dealer did. The firewall and inner fenders are covered with a bumpy thick layer of black tarry like stuff. It has no shine as the dust has stuck to it. So now the color is more tan with a black under layment. I know it will be a mess to clean off but what will work? Kerosene, lots of tar and bug remover, or ? I know when the power steering hose was spraying oil on the left inner fender the texture of this stuff turned soft and sticky, and very hot.
I will listen to all advice. I am sure some of it I will even use.
Thanks for listening,
Mike

Ziebart can be removed with mineral spirits, kerosene, diesel fuel. It can also be removed by that unmentionable liquid that is extremely flammable that powers the car, however, I don't recommend this except for the most difficult of spots that you need to get into, and only then using a 1/2" bristle paint brush. Ziebart is cosmoline, and as such it is easier to remove than some of the other types of undercoating. I am trying to clean up a license plate light housing, and so far, I have tried acetone, and gasoline, and neither will remove the undercoating on this part. Next I will try lacquer thinner, but I doubt that even that will touch it. Acetone usually take everything off, including paint.

Back