'59-'62 Superior landau irons

Have had leads on a couple pair yet none have materialized in several months. Very little remains missing from my '60 if you know of some suitable landaus collecting dust. Thanks.

I can find items for others. When it comes down to locating a needed piece for myself? Not so much! Here's an ironic twist that I am grateful for~

One of the leads I had earlier this year was a '63 Superior at a significant distance. Couldn't find anyone within a 200 mile radius to check it out after speaking with owner, so I turned the lead over to a buddy further away than myself who needed '63 Superior parts. Even in this technological age, the only way to get pictures was to ship the owner a disposable camera..!

So my friend buys a few parts off the coach after verbal phone description with owner. His remitted payment included enough for a disposable camera, which was shipped back along with said parts.

Turns out the '63 Superior is a Crown Sovereign combination. Crown?!? Interesting. Having never been able to figure out with 100% certainty if '63-'64 Crown landau irons would work for my '60, I asked an expert - Brady.

Brady confirms these are indeed the same. So after more than a year of searching>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

r102397024a.jpg

All of this info was a great surprise returning to after a long weekend trip. Can hardly wait for them to show up (at which point I'll ditch the signature)!

it can be repaired. they will silver solder it back together and it's stronger then new. I had a quote from Quail Krome in Erie pa to repair the ones ups broke for me at a fair price. it was there plating I could not afford

It can be fixed, i had to refuse the pot metal on my window frames when i chopped the top on my 55 olds. It has been together for a couple of years now and i have open and closed the doors many times, and those will not move once you have them mounted. I use a weld rod from cecil mugsey. I can get a # if needed.

Forgot to update.

Details:

-Superior Crown landau irons are longer than non-Crown models. 45.25" c/c precisely.
-'59-'64 Superior Crown landaus will work. '63-'64 there was a *very* slight design change. The above pair is off a '63, meaning 1 driver's side landau from '63-'64 is required.
-Casting number LH 254153 G needed (shown broken above). Casting RH 254152 G is the good one.
-Alternately would buy a '59-'62 Superior Crown pair of landau irons. I do not have those casting numbers and do not know if they are the same.

Some of you are probably asking "Why not fix what you have?" Doubt that would happen under $400. For less money, I should be able to find another (or pair).

Next items needed are interior sconces and related rear interior panels. These started in '60 and may have gone through '62. '63 Crown interiors were vastly different. Picture of a buddy's original '60 Crown:

dsc04299x.jpg

While not a purist, I do very much want to find these panels as well as sconces. Colors are irrelevant. Dirty hippies had the foresight to cover the entire rear compartment of my '60 Crown with shag carpeting back in the '70s, preserving everything underneath it. Unfortunately these Crown-specific pieces were not under the carpeting. Thanks!

Came oh-so-close to buying John Royark's old '60 Crown two weeks ago just for these 6 pieces. Spoke w/ owner, offered full asking price, then he sold it the following morning including the trailer it sat on - less than two days after initially advertising. Bummer.

Of course I have a substantial hearse parts cache if trading for other HTF items is more your thing.

Officially taking landau irons off this list! :071:

Next unobtanium from on deck circle to batter box: Sconces and related panels. The two gold panels in original '60 Crown below are what's missing in my coach.

dsc04295o.jpg

I believe these sconces started in '60 Crowns. '62 Crown (thanks Daniel) is vastly different, which means '61 was probably same as '62 by default making '60 one year only. '59 and non-Crown models had simple circular plastic lens sconces to best of my knowledge.

May as well add something 'easy' to find (although not at realistic price) - dash pad. Black, navy, or gray (in that order). '59 dash pad can be trimmed to fit '60 as well but doesn't hold true going other way.

Taking dash pad off list. In a seedy dark underbelly of a parts stash my heart started racing, thinking eyes were playing tricks:

dsc08952y.jpg

My next thought was that I wouldn't have enough cash on me... A deal was astoundingly reached. 400 miles later, once home, starting to saturate that this is real:

dsc09033.jpg

Gently washed & dried so far:

dsc09036c.jpg

dsc09037c.jpg

dsc09038x.jpg

Very fortunate to have the friends I do! Huge thanks to Carl Woerner. (Who didn't even remember where this came from. Dale did - from a Series 75 around 40 miles away purchased like 20 years ago.) My coach won't mind one small crack from leading edge to defrost cut out at all! :071:

'60 Crown is loving this month. Really.

use some of the ace hardware vinyl repair . it the best stuff I have found. just barely enough to fill the crack. it will keep it from going any farther.

Able to confirm that Superior started using torch sconce on '59 Crowns with this 'fresh' pic. Money can't buy this sconce unfortunately. However, seeing as it is static and does not light I may be able to borrow one and have cast. :thumb:

59crown3g.jpg

That picture is full of rare parts. There is also a 1964 Chevrolet Super Sport wheel cover in the picture..

Able to confirm that Superior started using torch sconce on '59 Crowns with this 'fresh' pic. Money can't buy this sconce unfortunately. However, seeing as it is static and does not light I may be able to borrow one and have cast. :thumb:

59crown3g.jpg

Does the 59 have lights behind the raised up portion on the ledge panel just below the torch? I know the 60 Crowns did so I assume this does too.

I hope you know all this talk about this era Superior is really making me miss my 60 Superior Crown 3 way!!!

Back