68 Cadillac Hearse in Colorado

Putting $1300 into it this week:

- Replace Quadrajet Carb
- Replace Accelerator Pump and gaskets (pump was only performing 25%)
- Rear Brake shoe service
- Clean/degrease engine
- Cooling system test
- Transmission and oil leak dye test

I noticed brakes were really stiff. Had to really mash the pedal to get it to stop. Want to make sure brakes are in top shape before I drive this much of anywhere.

Then next will be tires and paint

...- Replace Quadrajet Carb...- Rear Brake shoe service...

Congrats on the purchase! Have you joined the PCS yet? Keep in mind:

1. You may be better off rebuilding your carburator than replacing. Value wise for resale, originality, etc. plus the actual cost vs a replacement... I've personally used a local shop and one listed in the recommended vendors subforum here and was happy both times.

2. The brakes on your car are Commercial Chassis. It is far heavier than a standard car. Be wary of the mechanic working on your car clearly understanding what you need. I recommend in particular that you double check all the part numbers in particular.

Well im now 1800 in on repairs. I was called back and told that the brake drums are seeping fluid onto the pads and I think he said the linkages needed replaces or "set to 0", honestly not sure what that means. Also coolant was good to 25 ABOVE 0, so having him flush the coolant system. That brings everything up to 1800. So I will have 500 left when im all done, so im still in decent shape.

Any of this sound right?

So its 500 for the brake work and coolant work, friends are saying thats too much, but im really not sure. Either way I need to get it done, so im inclined to pay because stopping is pretty important.

Well im now 1800 in on repairs. I was called back and told that the brake drums are seeping fluid onto the pads and I think he said the linkages needed replaces or "set to 0", honestly not sure what that means. Also coolant was good to 25 ABOVE 0, so having him flush the coolant system. That brings everything up to 1800. So I will have 500 left when im all done, so im still in decent shape.

Any of this sound right?

So its 500 for the brake work and coolant work, friends are saying thats too much, but im really not sure. Either way I need to get it done, so im inclined to pay because stopping is pretty important.

For one no way for brakes drums to leak . Wheel cylinders , brake hoses, brake calipers, wheel seals, axle seals can leak. Do not replace the carburetor or any part of the brake system if it can be rebuilt. Most of the components in the brake system can be rebuilt , takes longer but you get the correct part back. Sounds like a possible bad brake booster again it can be rebuilt. If in doubt of the shop have it towed to another shop and get a second opinion. You need to find a shop that has history / knowledge of older cars. Get a itemized estimate list of the repairs that are needed. Linkage replaced and set to O. Sounds like something a hack would say to a soccer mom. :my2cents:

Be sure and pick up your old parts. The car will work best with the things that came with it. But not vary many shops can overhaul a carburator so if you get the origional one back you can send it to one of the venders to be rebuilt. If you are having work done labor charges will be the big hit. As I don't live were you do I can't comment on what that are charging.but were I live you run it into the door and you lose 100 bucks. But the experanced shop most likely a independent one not a chain store or dealership will give you the best bang for your buck. No me I find it vary strange that the people you had look it over did not find all these problems?

I will ask for an itemized report. I had gotten input from a co-worker who has had several project cars and he said 500 didnt sound too bad. But then again this is different from what he would have been working on.

Its possible i am remembering a bit of this wrong too.

I went in with an 8800 budget. After this i will be invested about 4800 into this for the car and the repairs, and i dont feel thats too bad for what i have, provided all is well once it returns.

After revising my budget and taking a deep breath i ok'd the repairs. I will have a few guys look the report over after and confirm whether i got screwed or not.

Some lessons cost money i suppose. But the important thing is that this stuff is getting done.

Budget will allow for new tires, my calcarcover, and paint may have to wait unless i get a cheapo job, but that idea really makes me cringe. I am going to try that rustoleum/acetone mix on the crinkle though, and take some goo gone to the remaining skull vinyl the previous owner couldnt get off.

If they haven't replaced the carburetor yet, tell them to take it off, and give it to you to have rebuilt, even if they have to push the car outside until it comes back. If they have already bought a replacement, then get the old one back, even if you have to pay the core fee. Every off the shelf carburetor that I have seen in the past 60+ years has always been a mix of different year parts, and even though they look pretty, and work ok, they won't work very well for very long.
I sent a carburetor out to be rebuilt that was rebuilt by another shop for the owner of the car. This carburetor had only 300 miles on it, when it failed. When I asked the people that rebuilt it for me, what was wrong, they replied, what wasn't wrong would be a better question. It took them additional time to make everything correct. The same car, had a brake problem, after another shop worked on it. The shop that I brought it to, couldn't figure out what was wrong, until they asked me to look at it. I had them pull all the brake shoes off, and I brought them home to further examine them. It turned out that even though they were relined by Bendix, a reputable company, that the shoes were a mix of 2 different year parts that were not compatible, even though they would mount to the backing plate.
Today, you can't trust rebuilders to get it right, unless they understand old cars, and most don't. This is why I have created the "Recommended Vendors" list. This list contains the names of vendors that I have personally vetted, and researched, to make sure that they are the best of the best.
Paul

Any of this sound right?

Oh my friend you are just beginning. There seems to always be something else that will require attention. That's the beauty of owning one of these things. :eek:

Putting $1300 into it this week:

- Replace Quadrajet Carb
- Replace Accelerator Pump and gaskets (pump was only performing 25%)
- Rear Brake shoe service
- Clean/degrease engine
- Cooling system test
- Transmission and oil leak dye test

I noticed brakes were really stiff. Had to really mash the pedal to get it to stop. Want to make sure brakes are in top shape before I drive this much of anywhere.

Then next will be tires and paint

I had the Quadrajet on our "64 rebuilt by a very reputable firm for $350, it runs like new.
If that second item is the fuel pump, that too can be rebuilt.

we all pay for our education in some way. one source of parts is Rockauto.com they will list Commercial chassis parts most of the time they will price out to stocking dealer price with there fright. that saves you about 35% on parts. but or course you have to order them your self and then have someone put them on. the American classic tires from Coker seam to work for most people as does the extended load from Hankok.

but why did it quit you? you're maybe addressing problems that needed taken care of, just not at this time. but once done of course will or should not need done as long as you own the car. defiantly get the mechanical things taken care of first. then the body. mean time a little clean up goes a long way to making things look a lot better. lets you decide on what needs done and what can wait. if it's still the original lacquer with a little elbow grease it will shine till there is no more paint on the car. believe it or not if the car looks good you get a better repair job from the mechanic.

I asked for the old carb back. Thanks for the advice, I will look at the recommended vendors thread. I was told by the previous owner that the hearsecon founder, Zach has a 68 windshield I might be able to buy. Its the only lead I have so far, so i'm going to try contacting him. Windshield in my 68 was apparently shot at by some kids with BB guns at some point. passenger side windshield is pretty rough.

Last edited:

Oh really? for some reason I thought I heard some time ago that Windshields ran really expensive and you could only get them from other hearses. Do you have a link to where I can inquire about a new one? or are you talking custom made?

There info= 1-800-848-1351 or visit http://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/

65-70 is the same windshield. PT#DW-678 I saw a post on another site saying they where unavailable (must be true its on the internet :rolleyes:) .I called and they had 17 on hand as of last month and are not exactly a fast mover. At that time they where 375.00 + 150.00 crate and ship charge.

Last edited:
using that part number Dan posted. drop down to your locale automotive glass store and see if they can get you threw there channels. it will save you the shipping cost. if not these guys will ship three in a box for the same price and they can be different glass.

You must be a PCS member to see some content on these forums. PCS membership has multiple benefits, and it’s just the right thing to do to sustain outlets like this for sharing knowledge.

That explains it, ok. Didnt realize some stuff was restricted. I will certainly look into membership. This forum has been a huge help and I would definitely like to give back

Back