Help with my 1959 S&S Hearse

Bill Carlin

PCS Life Member
I have been working on restoring a 1959 Cadillac S&S Victoria 3-way for that past 6 or 7 years. I have had the car at one body shop in Minneapoolis that went under and the car was held hostage until I used my connections with the sheriff's office to rescue it. (yes, lights, sirens were involved). I moved it to another body shop closer to me in central Minnesota. This new body shop does fantastic work...but slower than slow. The problem is, the first body shop took the car apart and the second never saw it complete, and some pieces may be missing

I need to decide if I should have a new windshield installed. My old windshield (still in place) is the origional that has repaired rock chips. Are new windshields available for the 59 commerical chassis? Are new rubber gaskets available?

Also, does anyone have a lead on trim pieces?

Last thing... does anyone own a 1959 S&S that would be willing to take tons of pictures that I can show the body man, interior peoople, etc. This would help me out in this process. Any help would be appreciated.

Guy's and Gal's correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1959-1964 commercial chassis windshields are the same, some were tinted others are not. Finding a replacement is difficult if not impossible at best. I do not know about the rubber. In 1964 they produced 1009 Cadillac commercial chassis. The chrome may be difficult but this is the place to ask for donor parts. Good luck.:893USA-Smilie-thumb

The windshields are available, but expensive. The tinted have been reproduced, however, I don't believe that I have ever seen a clear one. The rubber is not reproduced, but usually it doesn't go bad. The outer windshield trim is the same from 1959 to 1964, and can be had used, but once again, anything of that era is going to be expensive, plus shipping is also going to add to the cost dramatically.
I would say that if you were to send a bunch of pictures to Ed Renstrom of what you have for parts that you don't know where they go, he could possibly give you an idea. As for the interior, that is going to be tough to figure out if it has been gutted. Possibly you might be able to hunt down a S&S brochure for 1959 and the pictures will help you. If you are missing any curved glass or S&S specific chrome trim, that also is going to be difficult to find. Not many people want to take parts off a 1959, unless it is a total basket case of rust, and even then, there are people that will attempt a restoration, since the 1959 is so coveted.

though Doug got a grommet from steel rubber? as Paul said the glass is around. Brendon put one in his car before it came out here. 59 to 64 CC all used the 59 cowl and glass. S&S used a spear of two that no one else did. but the belt line stuff can be made up from pieces of car moldings. one will have to cut and splice to get them the right length. I'm sure anyone with a S&S will shair picturs of his car with you. and if I can help in any way I be happey to do so just drop me a PM.

Attachments

• 1959 S&S2.jpg
    1959 S&S2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 297
Bill

ABSOLUTELY REPLACE THE GLASS !!!

Al at Pilkington's will have one shipped to your front door for about 1100.00

Don't even think about it, replace it !

Nothing finer than looking through a brand new windshield when restoring a car. You won't regret it for a minute !

You will thank me later,
Darren

www.pilkington.com
1-800-848-1351

Mike at Auto City Classic has new windshields for $800. Russ Austin has spoken with him recently about one for his '63. Price has dropped to a point where risk of removing a good original windshield from a junkyard coach when having to pay in advance is weighed heavily, especially after money and labor is factored.

Since you mentioned trim after glass~ If CC windshield trim you're after, I have a spare perfect stainless outer set. If S&S body trim you wanted, remember this coach?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-cadillac-hearse-/110800602601?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19cc3b05e9#v4-44

As previously stated, buyer doesn't "need" it. Merely purchased to thwart any other lame Ecto clone attempt and threw it in a barn for the winter. Don't know if he'd sell parts offhand.

In regards to having specific pics taken, I can put you in contact with the guy who purchased Eddie's original '59 S&S endloader. Drapes have been redone but the rest is as it left the factory.

59ss7b.jpg

59ss7e.jpg

59ss7d.jpg

59ss7g.jpg

59ss7h.jpg

59ss7i.jpg

Darren's awesome 3-way interior would be the same as yours for that matter.

As previously stated, buyer doesn't "need" it. Merely purchased to thwart any other lame Ecto clone attempt and threw it in a barn for the winter. Don't know if he'd sell parts offhand.
Do you have contact info for him? It might be worth a try to see if he is willing to part with some pieces.

In regards to having specific pics taken, I can put you in contact with the guy who purchased Eddie's original '59 S&S endloader. Drapes have been redone but the rest is as it left the factory.
Can you send me the contact information for him? That would be a huge help.

You can send anything to Bill@millercarlin.com

Darren's awesome 3-way interior would be the same as yours for that matter.

Last edited:
I would say that if you were to send a bunch of pictures to Ed Renstrom of what you have for parts that you don't know where they go, he could possibly give you an idea. .

Paul is to busy.....he has to finish what he is doing now, because I have a 1948 Packard he might need to work on!!!

Paul is to busy.....he has to finish what he is doing now, because I have a 1948 Packard he might need to work on!!!

Bill, I am never too busy to help you, however, I have no intentions of working on your 1948 Packard, no matter how you try to entice me. I already have enough of my own work to finish.
Now, if you meant to say "Ed is too busy", from what Ed already has in the pipeline, he has enough work to last him for a couple more years.

Bill

I will take photos of my 60 S/S 3way inside and out for you.
It is in storage but I think I can arrange to do this for you soon.

I will look through photos I currently have and post those as well.

Darren

It looks like S&S used the same "dogbone" fabric in '59 that Comet Coach used in their Oldsmobiles. I still haven't had any luck trying to locate this material in off-white.

Bill, during a conversation this evening with gentleman who purchased eBay '59 S&S, I inquired further for you. It was placed in a barn for Winter not far from auction location - 500 miles away from where buyer lives. He won't determine what course of action to take until Spring after seeing it in person for first time.

In all likelihood, he'll sell entire unit and not parts if/when that time comes.

Attila

Can you provide a phone number for this windshield guy ?

**** Mike at Auto City Classic has new windshields for $800. ***

Thanks bro !
Darren

The windshields are available, but expensive. The tinted have been reproduced, however, I don't believe that I have ever seen a clear one. The rubber is not reproduced, but usually it doesn't go bad. The outer windshield trim is the same from 1959 to 1964, and can be had used, but once again, anything of that era is going to be expensive, plus shipping is also going to add to the cost dramatically.
I would say that if you were to send a bunch of pictures to Ed Renstrom of what you have for parts that you don't know where they go, he could possibly give you an idea. As for the interior, that is going to be tough to figure out if it has been gutted. Possibly you might be able to hunt down a S&S brochure for 1959 and the pictures will help you. If you are missing any curved glass or S&S specific chrome trim, that also is going to be difficult to find. Not many people want to take parts off a 1959, unless it is a total basket case of rust, and even then, there are people that will attempt a restoration, since the 1959 is so coveted.

Windsheild gasket is available from Rubber the right way or Steele Rubber.

I have a '62 S&S combination parts car with a cracked windshield but the trim should be very good. It's located near Huntington IN. If you get desperate enough to need that trim, we can talk. Tom

Back