Questions about my 70 superior

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
Can anyone help with info about my 70 superior.I would like to know who it was originally built for. I belive it was built for a fire company here in western N.Y.It was owned by gold cross ambulance in buffalo,then it was owned by niagara ambulance service in niagara falls,and now belongs to me.the rig is in fairly good condition,but needs lots of mechanical work,cleaning and detailing.model#616 body#777 sill#7730 mfg.date 3-2-70 orig.paint code upper red2564-11 lower blank.Any help is appreciated. thanks!!!!!!!:893USA-Smilie-thumb

Denny, can you post a picture? It's usually easier to compare a picture to a similar car. There's no database that allows us to track the builder by the plate information.

Dennis Tommy Donovan told me it was not a western NY car. W/ the scobs we would have known the car-----there were 2 70s in the area one from schawnee rd fd and another farnham fd. that was not the car

That is an intriguing rig, Denny; very well equipped with options. I don't believe I have seen it (or a photo of it) before, but she should be fairly easy to identify if a photo should surface.

"Is there an easier way than just looking for old pictures to track down the history of a car?"

Another way, yes. Easier way, maybe. Talk to people. Make phone calls...lots of them. Denny knows most of his rig's history, so I would start with contacting those known-services that owned the car. There just might be somebody who knows where it came from originally. If the services are no longer in business, scout around the area and see if there is anybody who worked there. My experience is, "somebody usually knows a guy, who knows a guy...who MIGHT be able to help." Like I said, lots of phone calls.

Asking questions and networking is key, even if it seems very unlikely you'll get any information. A prime case in point: I am currently researching a specific professional car's history. I spoke to a funeral director who last owned it over 20 years ago. When asked if he had any recollection where it came from when he bought it in the early 1970's, to my sheer amazement, he recalled the name of the town here in Minnesota it came from. A call to a funeral home in that town (one of two, so I guessed and got lucky on the first try) led to the discovery of original paperwork on this car, still in their files! After making two phone calls, I had copies of this car's paperwork faxed to me, with the invitation that I may stop by to see the originals. Now, had I assumed the first funeral director would have no recollection of something that happend nearly 40 years ago, I never would have put this puzzle together.

Granted, it does not always work out this way and many leads end up as dead ends. But if you don't try, you never know...

just how i found her

the pictures in the album are right after i got her running.I pulled her out and took a few shots of her. after the holidays i will get to work on her.i know bruce will come over to lend a hand.it's really nice to own a rig that comes from the first company that i worked for!!!!!!:specool:

I am currently researching a specific professional car's history. I spoke to a funeral director who last owned it over 20 years ago. When asked if he had any recollection where it came from when he bought it in the early 1970's, to my sheer amazement, he recalled the name of the town here in Minnesota it came from. A call to a funeral home in that town (one of two, so I guessed and got lucky on the first try) led to the discovery of original paperwork on this car, still in their files! After making two phone calls, I had copies of this car's paperwork faxed to me, with the invitation that I may stop by to see the originals. Now, had I assumed the first funeral director would have no recollection of something that happend nearly 40 years ago, I never would have put this puzzle together.

Granted, it does not always work out this way and many leads end up as dead ends. But if you don't try, you never know...

Tony, is this recearch for the car Im thinking of??

I tried to look up its history in the last registered state which was NC but they only have the last owner of it in their records and he does not even remember who how or where he purchased it or even how much.

Parts for 70 superior

Looking at the pics in my album,you can see i have a lens missing from the left front flashing roof light(which also osscilates up and down)what is the proper name for these lights,and does any body have a spare lens for it.they are made of glass.thanks to all for your help and comments!!!!!!:smileflag:

That is a Solaray light, made by Federal Signal. John Dorgan has the lenses for these for about $60 plus shipping, based on an old memory.. :respect:

Back