Door lock issue: 93 eagle cadillac

I thought that this was a front door that you were having problems with. Possibly someone rigged the door so the person in the back couldn't escape on the way to the cemetery? :D

OK I just had a horrible thought the door may NOT be locked, the outside handle may not be connected to the latch. A good test, with the drivers side front door open and the rear loading door open,push the lock button to lock the doors. Compare the pull on each of the rear doors, is the right rear easier than the left? If so the door handle has become disconnected from the latch or at least I think a good chance of it. BTW the other doors being open is a safety from possibly being locked out if there is an electrical problem.

Ok I think that's the problem. There definitely is a difference

Rear glass is fixed. The felling residence on the knob says its connected. The automatic and the manual hook to the same rod that moves a lever that drops into place when unlocked the click you hear is that. It is spring loaded on most to keep it in either position. The lock smith will reach down in and trip this lever to the open position.

If you are brave enough and a fair mechanic I can give you instructions how to get the rear door inner upholstery panel off. It ain't gonna be fun and you will need basic tools and a roll of wide duct tape a tack puller/upholstery removal tool and hopefully a small floor jack or at the least a scissors jack and a heavy towel. Don't start anything as I have doors apart on cars in the yard and I want to see how the handle hooks up then I can tell you better what to do.

If you are brave enough and a fair mechanic I can give you instructions how to get the rear door inner upholstery panel off. It ain't gonna be fun and you will need basic tools and a roll of wide duct tape a tack puller/upholstery removal tool and hopefully a small floor jack or at the least a scissors jack and a heavy towel. Don't start anything as I have doors apart on cars in the yard and I want to see how the handle hooks up then I can tell you better what to do.

Do you think a lock smith can pull it off as John suggested above? And do you have any idea of the cost? (that question is directed at John.)

I don't see the harm in you sending over the how to on removing the upholstry. I'll look it over and see if i have all the tools here.

You would have to call around local to see what they would get. I have not had a Eagle apart so i can't tell you if there is much of a access hole to get into the door. But as long as we have been talking it could have been soaking in penetrent. It would be nice to see what kind of cam that used to put the mechanical lock were they did.

You would have to call around local to see what they would get. I have not had a Eagle apart so i can't tell you if there is much of a access hole to get into the door. But as long as we have been talking it could have been soaking in penetrent. It would be nice to see what kind of cam that used to put the mechanical lock were they did.

I did try the penetrent trick too. No luck there, I'm afraid.

Does you Coach have body color outside door handles or black ones?Reason for question is white cop cars (Caprice same front door) have black door handles, my Masterpiece has green body color ones. I went into my door pile this afternoon. I was checking on how the handle hooks to the latch (very little room in there). there are two rods running to the latch. One from the lock to latch and the other from the handle This was a front door so I have to get a rear door to check better. Then along came a nasty thunderstorm operation suspended till tomorrow stay tuned be back on this tomorrow.

I did try the penetrent trick too. No luck there, I'm afraid.

How many times? You night have to do it a few times before it soaked in enough. Then work the mechanical knob not the power one. Hit the lock with the power they will always go down then work the .mechanical one to try to bring it up.

Alright here we go. Here are a couple interesting things today I did some comparing my Masterpiece has an outside key lock under the handle no inside handle no way to open the door from the inside. Now the other Coach of this era in the yard is a 95 Eureka Buick the difference is interesting the Eureka has no outside lock on the rear door but it has a handle on the inside but also a lock button located with the inside handle. This seems strange as the Masterpiece is top of the line and the Buick Eureka is a Coach for a price. Now on to the problem of the door that won"t open. #1 after getting the rear inner door panel off there is NO WAY to get between the glass and the door to open the door NO TOOL will do it. From what I learned the only way to get the door open will be to remove the inner door panel. On the Eureka the first thing is remove the curtain,next the curtain is retained at the bottom with two velcro strips held in with two phillips screws. If your coach has sign brackets remove them Two phillips screws each. Now it gets hairey you have to twist and move upward the top of the door panel to disengage it from the top of the door ( it hooks over the metal the length of door). Now with the top loose get a BIG LONG screwdriver pry outward between the door panel and at the top and work downward on each side till you get too the bottom. This will be tough the lower you get as the floor will narrow things down you will have to use the long screwdriver keep going across the bottom till the door panel is disengaged and you can pull it up and remove it. Now at the rear of the door there is a hole and you can see the latch and door lock selonoid. you will see two rods the inner one is the power lock the other one toward outside is the latch release it connects at the bottom you will see a rod running up to the outside handle push down on that rod where it joins with a leaver with the long screw driver and the door should open. I need your cellphone number and I will text you pictures I took.

Thank you both for all the responses and help.

1st) I tried several lubings, but I'm 99 percent certain it is the door knob at fault after multiple pull tests. Even locked, all the other door handles have some sort of pull to them, while this one has none what so ever.

2nd)I'll probably have time tomorow to begin the door panel operation. I'll text you my number shortly.

If you don't think you can get it just drive the car down to the local lock shop it will take then a few minutes but they will have it open for you. You damage that trim pad you may not find another. I have had to do them that way. I have found that a crow bar works better for me on the bottom clips slide it down next to it and twist to pop it off. But if you get the top off and can reach into the hole. Try moving the rod from the electric lock. Up should unlock it. but thats a quess. That would save you from trying to get the bottom off.

Thank you both

I just wanted to post an update and actually thank you both. You both provided info that helped in getting this door open.

So first off, as Peter suggested, I was able to remove the panel off from the inside. Well most of it at least. I was able to get the curtain screws out and a couple of the other screws that hold the panel on. Fun fact, there were no clips to pry. The whole panel was held on by a series of screws, some covered by the decorative chrome strip or cloth buttons. I was able to remove enough that I was able to shove my arm in to the door and find the rod that disengages the door.

Once the door was open, I was able to get the panel off the rest of the way and that's where John's advice came in. The rod that moves up and down that opens the door was stuck in the down position from years of gunk and no use. I hit it with the lube a few times and scrubbed it with a wire brush until the rod moved freely and returned to the up position as it should. Then I just put everything back together, and now I have a fully functioning door!!!!

Thanks again.

I will be posting a video i made later to show exactly what I was talking about. It will take some editing as my 5 year old was the camera girl and there is A LOT of filler. LOL

My next project is working on the radio!

-Domenic

Congats. Well done! As far as how the panel was held on thats the difference between Accu Built and Eagle the ones I have use push pins looks like Eagle went with screws. I think this issue may confront other 90s vehicles as they all use the same latch. Time to open them up and make sure you are not faced with Doms problem.

Next time are at the car wash or if you have a power washer at home. Work over the latches from the outside.them do a light lub on the moving parts. It does help them all.

Thanks again.

I will be posting a video i made later to show exactly what I was talking about. It will take some editing as my 5 year old was the camera girl and there is A LOT of filler. LOL

My next project is working on the radio!

-Domenic

Post the unedited version also, since it will be quite humorous. 5 year old kids have the attention span of a butterfly... :D

Back