Eureka Co Data Tags

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
As far as I can tell, the Rock Falls Eureka Co build tags have not been reproduced. The one on my 1961 Eureka-Cadillac "Hi-Boy" is in poor condition. I am looking to get it restored, and perhaps a duplicate or two made. There are several vendors that do this work - but I am narrowed down to one at the moment for this project.

If there is anyone interested in getting a tag of their own - please let me know. Cost would go down with each additional one made. I do not have final pricing from the vendor yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 327
a little 600 paper then block it wet. tape off what you don't want to paint and spray bomb semi gloss black. i like to fallow up with a little clear to give it one more layer.

a little 600 paper then block it wet. tape off what you don't want to paint and spray bomb semi gloss black. i like to fallow up with a little clear to give it one more layer.

Unfortunately Ed, that didn't work here. The acid-etched letters/logo were corroded through - it's not just dirt caked up on top. Wish it were so.

We are going with http://www.nostalgicreflections.com/ Cost is not insignificant, as Eureka did a unique acid-etch technique to create raised letters. However, unit cost is decreased the more are produced. If you are interested, please reach out as soon as possible via e-mail/PM (if latter, please provide your e-mail). I've heard from two PCS members thus far. Thanks!

there tags and door sills were vary thin acid etched. they use the same sill for a long time just trimed the to fit what ever the car they put them in. I got a quot of 500 bucks each to have them reproduced. every one that calmed to have a damaged one would not sell it to me so I could splice the damaged section on what I had. they would just tell me you can't do that. we had to use a blank. to get them done. but having the pattern would have look a lot better. you get them made up and sell them on e-bay it might work. never does for me but others claim to get rich that way.

I got a quot of 500 bucks each to have them reproduced.

Well, I can tell you these will probably end up hovering around half that each. This was a more expensive proposition than I would've hoped. :eek:

Won't be selling them or stocking more than the one I need plus maybe a spare. They require individual production with multiple steps, but the vendor is willing to cut the cost if they make more in a row. That's why I'm soliciting those to go in with me on the cost. Why couldn't they have done something easy like M-M did, that'd be around $50 or less each...

Last edited:
The cost is in the set up is the way they explained it to me. One you have the set made running them threw is not that expensive. Lucked out on the 58 as that tag was off and stored in the car. It was in great shape.ill get on the other computer and send you the link for the man I talked to if it's not the same place you might get to compare pricing anyway.

Ed, would you mind posting a pic of your 58 tag? I am hoping that tags are the same for the 57 - 61....I am hoping they are not too expensive...we will see how many of us need them. I will take and post pics of the tags on my 57 and 59 for comparison.
Thank you, Nicholas, for initiating this project.

Rocky Fluegge has been reproducing the hearse company plates and has quite a few now.

I'm sure this one will be available soon.

Best to just wait and get one from him.

Perfect replicas !

I can't post a photo or I would.

Darren

ID Tags

Here ya go. This is from Rocky's faceBook Page.
There has been some discussion on replacement coach plates. I have these available right now. Prices are $15 on the little Superiors,and $20 each on the others, plus shipping and $10 more to stamp your #'s into them. I'm also working on flexible and eureka plates as well. Those will be coming soon. But here is a quick pic of what I have done. I will get better pics of each by them self's soon.

Attachments

• 19657189_1917679635180429_3773111156701376961_n.jpg
    19657189_1917679635180429_3773111156701376961_n.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 686
All right folks - finalized it with Nostalgic Reflections. Keen observers may have reviewed some of their work in the antique aircraft and auto fields- if not check out http://www.nostalgicreflections.com/AboutNR.html and the galleries there. I have personally been disappointed sometimes by the "close, but not that close" reproduction tags I've purchased in the recent past in this field and others. For this car, I really wanted it done right. Mr. Turner there has been doing this sort of work for over 45 years, and I at least was quite impressed with their portfolio. The Eureka tag is very deeply etched, more so that the Superior and Wayne Corp tags I'm familiar with. After the graphics are created on an applied silk-screen, the plate will be acid-etched. The plate is then hand-painted with enamel, stamped with the numbers, then clear coated. I am very much looking forward to my tag!

The cost was $285 for the first (and initially single) tag - and as this was my desired item, I will be eating that initial start-up cost for others who may choose to purchase. As of this time, other individuals who reached out desired 5 more. The vendor makes these individually by hand, but was willing with that volume to cut the price for a "group buy," making each additional tag $245. Stamping is $10 per field (so $20 for most Eureka's) plus $6 for S&H. I have no desire to hold anyone's money, and no interest in selling them. If you are interested in a tag, but have yet to reach out to me, it's no problem and you can just reach out to the vendor directly. I cannot speak for them on how long they will be willing to honor the above pricing. I will be at the meet in Lebanon, MO if you wish to save on shipping and I can have them package yours with mine and I can deliver.

one question I have is how many eureka tags have you looked at? the one in the 58 was a raise border and script but by the time it had gotten painted you could not catch your thumbnail on it. it was about half as thick as the superior ones I played with. some one had taken it off earlier and it was keep in the linen cabinet so it had all most no weathering. the one you have is heavy weathered and I would guess that what your thinking is heavy etching is heavy weathering.
not to knock the mans work or his price. but just a work of caution I would check out a few others first to see how deep they were etched.

as I said the tag on Virgle's car was in great shape and the back ground was smooth with barley being able to feel the raised letters and border. not to say that they were not all done buy hand and no two came out the same.

Also calls the question were there different plate suppliers in different time periods? Thus making the plates the same but different? I think any replica that is the same size and content should suffice the coach manufacturer did not split hairs why start 50 years later?

Recently received my Eureka tags from Nostalgic Reflections. I was VERY pleased with the result and can easily recommend their work.

I will let the photo speak for itself.

Attachments

• 2017-08-19 20.55.55.jpg
    2017-08-19 20.55.55.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 603
Nick,
I see a problem.............. your numbers are too straight and consistent! Lol

None of the manufacturers did that good of a job on these plates when they stamped the numbers on these plates!

Nick,
I see a problem.............. your numbers are too straight and consistent! Lol

None of the manufacturers did that good of a job on these plates when they stamped the numbers on these plates!

You're right! I should send it back.

On the other hand - restoration parts always seem to be better than new. :D

Back