Interior Trim Restoration

Matthew Taylor

PCS Route 66 Chapter President
I removed, cleaned, painted, and reinstalled the rear window trim on my '72 Cotner/Bevington Oldsmobile 98 Hearse. I used a clean micro-fiber towel, Dupli-Color vinyl spray paint, some foam vinyl cleaner, and a scrub brush. I first removed all three of the trim pieces, making sure to keep the screws organized. Next I cleaned the vinyl, using the foam cleaner and a fairly soft scrub brush. Then I used a clean, wet micro-fiber towel to rinse all of the soap off of the vinyl. I used the prep-wipe towelette to wipe down all of the vinyl, followed by additional rinsing with the micro-fiber towel. After allowing the trim to dry in the sun for an hour or so, I applied several coats of the Dupli-Color spray paint. I let the trim become tacky between coats, and fully dry before I reattached them to the window.

Rear window trim on the 1972 Cotner/Bevington Oldsmobile 98 Hearse by pcsmoroute66, on Flickr

This is what I started with.

Screw pattern by pcsmoroute66, on Flickr

Screws organized.

Trim by pcsmoroute66, on Flickr

Discolored vinyl.

Vinyl wrapped sheet-metal trim pieces by pcsmoroute66, on Flickr

Painting is underway.

Trim is reinstalled. by pcsmoroute66, on Flickr

Final product.

There are a few more pictures in my Flickr set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcslbf/sets/72157635029719103/

they just wrapped a piece of bare steel with the vinyl and put them in place. . nice job on these.

I used white shoe polish on my high top. it took a lot of layers to but. i still looked good when it left here. nothing worse then the rust stains when you open the door. will may be loosing the original pattern would be.

Curtains

Looks AWESOME Matthew !!!:applause:

Kudos to Carol for the beautiful job on the curtains !!!!:thumbsup:

Really shows well !!!:)

Back